Slowness in Arcgis Pro

Jump to solution
01-28-2021 04:42 AM
Luiz_FernandoOrtega
New Contributor II

In recent weeks, my arcgis pro's performance has dropped infinitely. Applications that took 10 seconds today take about 40 minutes, my pc has configuration to run arcgis pro without any problems, can someone tell me what may be happening?

17 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for accepting the response @Luiz_FernandoOrtega   Out of curiosity, are you able to share if you were able to determine what specifically resolved the performance issue?

We're interesting in providing a troubleshooting resource/checklist similar to what I provided above, so knowing if there was something specific that was helpful will inform our efforts around that resource.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Luiz_FernandoOrtega
New Contributor II

My problem was the local server that was in need of maintenance. As all the data was inside the server, even if it created a new project it was still slow. Solving this returned to normal.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  • connection to outside/non-local data sources

the most likely culprit as suspected, especially if you have a good local machine.

... sort of retired...
ScottRothberg__Ph_D_
New Contributor II

I have also noticed this issue as of 2.6/2.7. I went through the same process of uninstalling the program and reinstalling, updating the GPU driver, adjusting Display/Rendering options, and even increased my system's pagefile.sys size. Regardless of these changes, I continue to notice issues.

Description of Issues:

In an active ArcGIS Pro Project File, manual processes (checking unchecking layers, opening Catalog Pane, expanding a geodatabase dropdown list, clicking different objects in a layout) that used to take fractions of seconds to toggle, not throw ArcGIS Pro into a 2-5 minutes pause before a refresh occurs. For more complicated analytical processes (using tools, georeferencing, accessing WMS server data, etc.) that used to take 30 seconds to a minute, now cause my map or layout view to go black for 2-5 minutes before a refresh occurs.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing performance issues.  Since you have already gone through the initial troubleshooting steps provided earlier in the thread, the next best step will be to work with technical support to figure out what changed between the time when Pro was performing well for you and now.

0 Kudos
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

i feel like all i do all day is watch that blue circle spin. I am now opening a project with not a single layer active in the map window, but it still for whatever reason takes so much time to just open the project - enough time to log into geonet, search for this thread and complain in this message box. that doesn't seem normal. I click the pause drawing button every once in a while but it seems to do absolutely nothing. wonder why it's there. and let's not even get started on the cancel geoprocessing task - never had it work. went to lunch today and my clip raster was still cancelling when i returned. and I even had dessert and coffee! only option is to kill the software. 7th time today. meanwhile, the same 2GB raster image opens in QGIS in a matter of seconds and you can pan, zoom around - no blue circle or anything!   

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @AurelieShapiro I agree that that doesn't seem normal.  I would recommend working through Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro .  

Post your 'Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro' and Performance Assessment Tool (PAT) results here.

If you're still experiencing problems after working through that guide, it would be good to work with technical support to troubleshoot the issue.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ScottRothberg__Ph_D_
New Contributor II

I will start out by giving some positive recognition to ESRI. These checklists and diagnostic tools have come a long way to assist users with identifying shortcomings of their local system’s performance.

With that said, it is still infuriatingly difficult to get a direct answer from ESRI on what the recommendation is for an “ideal” local computer system setup to flawlessly run ArcGIS Pro. As a teacher of GIS at a major research university I cannot tell you how many times students have asked me this question and how disappointing it is to have to tell them the same response K. Kramer provided above. Trust me, I get it; every user is different and we each work with a wide range of varying file sizes and file types (and budgets). It just seems like the lack of a concrete answer is an indicator that ArcGIS Pro is still undergoing development as a software program.