Select to view content in your preferred language

Slow performance of ArcGIS Pro on VPN

Jump to solution
12-12-2023 03:30 AM
GISFunctionalGroup
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone,
In our org, we are using ArcGIS pro 2.9.x Version by the users. Most of the users are facing the very slow performances when they are pan, zoom, editing, popup display and other basic map activites via VPN client when they are working remotely. Users are having very good hardware configurations in their machines.
Find the following parameters of the Work flow setup, those are as follows.

• ArcGIS License server admin (2021.1v) &Enterprise GDB (SQL Server) are in the same Azure cloud region.
  • Remote users are using "ArcGIS Pro Template" for their daily routines like pan, zoom , editing and visualizations.

WE followed the https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/problem-arcgis-and-vpn-understanding-connection-errors... for improve the performances but no use of it!!

Currently using ArcGIS Pro PAT (https://architecture.arcgis.com/en/framework/architecture-practices/performance-and-scalability/tool...) for assessing the performances!

Are there any specific network recommendations that may help to optimize the ArcGIS Pro performances?
what are the techniques /tips for improving the performances during remote work via VPN?
@Bob_Spaulding - It would be very much appreciated if you through some light on it!! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GISFunctionalGroup
New Contributor III

Hi,

When we have used the ArcGIS Pro Sessions via "Jump Server" to the users over VPN & the performance of the ArcGIS Pro is much improved. For testing we have used this scenario and it's working fine . 

Thanks for everyone for their answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

I would anticipate less than optional performance when connecting over VPN. The network and VPN client (scanning / encrypting / decrypting / other VPN things) is going to more than likely be the limiting factor in this. The ArcGIS clients need robust communication between the clients (Database / Pro / Enterprise). I know that there may be some people to crack open the special sauce on the VPN / Pro client performance; but in my experience, it is usually not as good as being in the same cloud / datacenter / office.

We normally recommend that the Pro client is in the same datacenter / cloud region as the geodatabase; https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/latest/windows/databases-in-the-cloud.htm

This helps to cut down on latency / performance issues as you are experiencing. I would recommend testing having a Pro client in your Azure cloud (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/pro-on-azure-cloud.htm) and do some testing to see if the performance is better.

Another option, depending on the use cases and functionality needed, would be to publish the feature classes as feature services and edit via REST services. This would improve the performance when editing on VPN connecting to your ArcGIS Enterprise deployment.

Hope this helps point you in the correct direction. Let us know if you have any other questions.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
GISFunctionalGroup
New Contributor III

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply, limitation of the performances on VPN is expected but it's too much slow. For example, opening a Pro template is taking 120-160 Sec.
We will try the "a Pro client in the Azure cloud"!!

As a workaround, we did the following modifications in the Pro template to boost the performances.

• Turned off the External WFS & WMS in the content
  • modify the of the symbology

• saved the to the local drive instead of cloud shared drive

Actually it worked but not upto the mark.
We are expecting any recommendations for remote VPN users to improve the performances!

Regards

GIS Functional Group 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Oh, so you were opening the Pro projects from a cloud drive.... I would anticipate that would take a while to open and populate the layers.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
GISFunctionalGroup
New Contributor III

Yes, Even after saving to local drive it's taking around 60-100 sec to open the Pro template & around 30-40 Sec to geometry display with labels on the map window.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

I would anticipate those times over VPN.

I have seen very large wait times when using VPN to connect to databases / data sources.

--- George T.
GISFunctionalGroup
New Contributor III

Hi,

When we have used the ArcGIS Pro Sessions via "Jump Server" to the users over VPN & the performance of the ArcGIS Pro is much improved. For testing we have used this scenario and it's working fine . 

Thanks for everyone for their answers

0 Kudos