Slow Editing in ArcMap 10.6

02-06-2018 03:09 PM
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

Anyone else having issues with editing in ArcMap 10.6?  Currently, my shop uses ArcMap 10.5.1 and I imported our existing template into 10.6.  Scrolling around works at a comparable speed but once I start and edit session, everything slows down.  Snapping is slow.  Mouse clicks response are slow.  Everything is slow.

In 10.5.1, we use the Attribute Assistant and Water Utility Network add-ins.  I've tried both the 3.1.2017 and 1.17.2018 versions of these tools and both are slow.

I tried a couple different methods to rebuild the templates and editing was still slow.

I've tried the steps on this blog post and nothing helped.

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2012/06/07/troubleshooting-slow-performance... 

I've cleaned the map cache and set the geoprocessing results management to keep for less than a day.

I've started a ticket with ESRI but was curious to see how many other people were experiencing this problem too.

Tags (3)
68 Replies
NathanBruce1
Occasional Contributor

I just had an issue trying to get the snapping to work on a fresh install of 10.6.1 (Win 7) system, additionally it was slow, often spooled and was laggy.  I had my co-worker login and the issue seems to have disappeared.  Guess i need to wipe my profile! 

0 Kudos
RayWeiser1
New Contributor III

We encountered slow edits (unacceptable speeds for production environment) after upgrade of Desktop to 10.6 from 10.5.1.  Target data format didn't appear to matter - was painfully slow with older fGDB's, new 10.6 fGDB, SDE data in SQL 2014, all were affected.  Reinstalled 10.5.1 and editing speeds back to normal.  Tried 10.6.1 and edit speeds were also normal again.  Didn't run down all other potential causes mentioned in this thread since 10.6 appeared to be the culprit for us.   I normally don't install any first gen releases but did this time, so in the future I will I stick to my better instincts and wait for the .1 version.  

AbeCoughlin1
New Contributor III

Windows 10. SDE 10.6. Desktop 10.6. Oracle 12.

Same issue on enterprise GDB but performance improves when reducing the number of layers in the MXD.

File GDBs don't seem to be an issue for us.

Editing default database appears not to be impacted but versions are.

0 Kudos
ThomasStorey
New Contributor II

10.6.1 fixed my issues.  I would recommend updating to this version if you still have not and are having issues.

0 Kudos
SkylerDewey
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion!  10.6.1 solved the performance issue of editing versions for me as well.  

0 Kudos
AmyGwin2
New Contributor III

My organization has been on 10.5 and we are consistently seeing slow to crawling editing environment across multiple users in simple FGDB. like - I'm talking 40 seconds to move a point and snap it to an existing polygon! Yikes. This is unacceptable. Since ArcMap is no longer being supported.. are we stuck with this unless we work in ArcPRO? #arcmap #slow #editing

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you also perform editing in SDE at 10.5?  Or are you solely a file gdb shop?

Have you started working with Pro?  I ask because I find that software to be slow.  If you are to test Pro make sure you review the requirements and far exceed them (it'll cost you) in order to have a chance at decent performance.  You can find threads throughout GeoNet on this type of discussion.

0 Kudos
AmyGwin2
New Contributor III

fGDB shop

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would try compacting the file gdb (backup first) and then see if it performs better.

Create a new file gdb and copy the feature classes there to see if you get better performance.  I'm just thinking that maybe your file gdbs have been in use for awhile and some maintenance might provide a quicker and easier solution than an upgrade or migration to new software and it's associated learning curve.

0 Kudos