Slow Editing in ArcMap 10.6

02-06-2018 03:09 PM
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

Anyone else having issues with editing in ArcMap 10.6?  Currently, my shop uses ArcMap 10.5.1 and I imported our existing template into 10.6.  Scrolling around works at a comparable speed but once I start and edit session, everything slows down.  Snapping is slow.  Mouse clicks response are slow.  Everything is slow.

In 10.5.1, we use the Attribute Assistant and Water Utility Network add-ins.  I've tried both the 3.1.2017 and 1.17.2018 versions of these tools and both are slow.

I tried a couple different methods to rebuild the templates and editing was still slow.

I've tried the steps on this blog post and nothing helped.

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2012/06/07/troubleshooting-slow-performance... 

I've cleaned the map cache and set the geoprocessing results management to keep for less than a day.

I've started a ticket with ESRI but was curious to see how many other people were experiencing this problem too.

Tags (3)
68 Replies
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Tim, thank you for your comment. 

Just a heads up, performance issues are usually very complex and require loads of testing/comparison cases to understand root causes.  The true cause of performance could be due to any one (or more) pieces in your set up.  This feed has gotten pretty specific to users who believe they have narrowed down their performance issues to a particular bug, based on previous tests and comparison cases. 

If you have done such tests and comparison cases you may always include them in your comments.  The best route to effectively triage performance issues will be to call Esri Support so they may guide you in which tests will be most efficient to narrow down the issue.

Esri Support # 888-377-4575 to create a new case.

0 Kudos
MattEitrem
Occasional Contributor

I just went though this issue with Customer Support today and they are attributing it to BUG-000111024. I first opened a case back in early Feb where running GDB maintenance (Reconcile, Compress, Rebuild Indexes, Analyze) fixed the issue but the issues recently came back and were not corrected with these maintenance items. My environment is ArcMap10.6, SQL2016, Enterprise GDB at version 10.5.1 and the slow performance only happens when editing a version, not when editing the Default. I was told the workaround would be to either rollback to version 10.5.1, use ArcGIS Pro, or perform edits only to the Default. The fact that this issue is already fixed in ArcgisPro but not ArcMap really bothers me.

0 Kudos
ThomasStorey
New Contributor II

I too have this same issue.  I was also told that this was attributed to BUG-000111024 which doesn't make sense as this is an ArcPro bug and I am having issues in ArcMap 10.6.  My database is SQL2012, my database version is 10.6.  My client OS is Windows 7.  Editing the default version has no speed issues.  I was also told that the workaround was to rollback to an earlier version or use ArcGIS Pro.  It is very frustrating that there is a fix for ArcGIS Pro but not ArcMap as our shop doesn't use Pro; we need the extras that Map has to offer.

RobertWright1
New Contributor III

We are having similar issues, but are on 10.5.1, we are thinking maybe we can use a check out check in to help prevent the slowness, have you, or others tried this?  I am still trying to find out if that is even an option.

0 Kudos
MattEitrem
Occasional Contributor

Let me know if this works for you or what you find out about it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertWright1
New Contributor III

Nope, check out check In, didn't work. Other replicas didn't either.  Oh well slow system. Slow progress.  One thing that did help a tad was to save the data connection to a diffrent server.   This did help a bit. 

0 Kudos
RobertWright1
New Contributor III

Matt,

So it turns out that the check out and check in feature actually did work well.  There was no lag in the editing process.  My previous post was the result of trying to create a replica using the replica wizard, not the geoprocessing tool to create the replica.  This resulted in only the historical data getting replicated.  With review I found this document on how to set up a replica with Parcel Fabric: 

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/editing-parcels/parcelfabricreplication.htm

I did change to help doc for our version 10.5, but there is something on the 10.6 version as well.  I have some more testing to do, but we may recommend switching to this work flow for our parcel fabric editing.

Regards

Allen

0 Kudos
ThomasStorey
New Contributor II

Another item of interest with my situation is that we are currently unable to access non-spatial databases (sql server).  I wonder if this ties into this bug? 

0 Kudos
JamesMcGinley
New Contributor II

This has been fixed in ArcMap 10.6.1 which is expected to be released in June 2018 (BUG-000110952).  It has also been fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1 (BUG-000111024).

MattNash
New Contributor III

I also started having problems with very slow editing performance once ArcMap 10.6 was installed (previously I was on 10.4.1).  After we started a support case, the ESRI tech suggested having another user logging onto my machine to test the performance on their user profile. Voila! No problems with their editing.  So then our IT guy created a new profile for me and it solved my slow editing problems.  Apparently I had a corrupt user profile that only manifested itself when trying to edit in 10.6.  Go figure.