Show Dimensions in FT

Jump to solution
02-22-2021 06:40 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have created a Dimension Feature Class, and when I created it I choose to show units in "Feet".  But...when I create new dimension features, it always shows them in "Meters".

My map units are in Meters.  Is that the problem??  Is there a way to show dimensions in feet when the map units are in meters??

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't use dimensions very often, but I would guess that value is being defined by the selected spatial reference of the feature class. I tested adding a few dimension layers to a project, and that seems to be what determines it.

jcarlson_0-1614007187363.png

Even though there is a "Map Units" dropdown when you create a dimension feature class, the documentation states that "The units should match the map coordinate system." Furthermore, I can't see where the selection there is actually maintained in the resulting layer. Opening up the properties only shows your selected reference scale and any styles you've defined, nothing about units.

jcarlson_1-1614007384493.png

So you'll need your dimensions in a spatial reference that uses feet as the linear unit. Since Pro reprojects layers on the fly, there's no issue in using that layer in a map that is itself in meters.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you elaborate as to where it's displaying meters instead of feet? Depending on what part of the application you're looking at, it may be governed by different settings.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi,

It's on the actual dimension feature that I create.  Here is an example.  I'd like to see this in FT, not M.

BrianBulla_0-1614005899465.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't use dimensions very often, but I would guess that value is being defined by the selected spatial reference of the feature class. I tested adding a few dimension layers to a project, and that seems to be what determines it.

jcarlson_0-1614007187363.png

Even though there is a "Map Units" dropdown when you create a dimension feature class, the documentation states that "The units should match the map coordinate system." Furthermore, I can't see where the selection there is actually maintained in the resulting layer. Opening up the properties only shows your selected reference scale and any styles you've defined, nothing about units.

jcarlson_1-1614007384493.png

So you'll need your dimensions in a spatial reference that uses feet as the linear unit. Since Pro reprojects layers on the fly, there's no issue in using that layer in a map that is itself in meters.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
BrianBulla

Hi Josh.

Creating my Dimension Class using NAD 1983 BLM Zone 17N (US Feet) seems to be working in my map which is in Zone 17N (m).

Thanks!