Shapes visible at a small scale and disappear when zooming in?

03-08-2019 03:02 PM
MaazaMekuria
Occasional Contributor

Now you see them and then you zoom in a bit and you don't!  Using a geodatabase of shapes on ArcGIS 10.6, I can see the picture shown first with the nice roadway geometries drawn in exotic styles and then I zoom in a bit some of the shapes disappear from view!  Any ideas why?  I have read through the other posts concerning such happenings and I can't figure out why it is happening.  I exported the data to a shape file and it shows in all zoom levels.  I repaired geometries and cleaned it, and did the best I could to change the style or the categories used simple line types, etc... Nothing would allow the geometries to show except at the lowest zoom level.   The geometries are alright, I run the check geometry and repair geometry and nothing seems to be able to make these shapes show at any zoom level except an all out zoom of the entire layer extent.

I also checked if zoom level visibility was turned on and it was not!   I am using ArcGIS 10.6. 

You seem then here

and then they disappear

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Maaza,

It looks like you may have posted this in the wrong forum, it appears you are asking an ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 question, however this is the Survey123 forum.

Phil.

0 Kudos
MaazaMekuria
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the tip.  I only saw that I was posting on GeoNet.  Sure enough it was on Survey123. I can't seem to find ArcGIS Desktop though. I have changed it to ArcGIS Pro.  

0 Kudos
MaazaMekuria
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I learned from Mary, ESRI support, that the spatial index on the underlying database needs to be recalculated using Arc_Catalog.  Maybe it can be regenerated using a Python Script also, as the data is frequently overwritten. Glad there is a solution!

0 Kudos