Shapefile with problems in ArcGIS Pro but not in ArcMap?

07-26-2020 09:25 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have a polygon-based shapefile whereby when I drop it in ArcGIS Pro, it loads the geometry alright, but the label doesn't draw and when I create a new column in the attribute table and try to 'Calculate Geometry' I get this error: 000635: Skipping feature because of NULL or EMPTY geometry.—Help | Documentation 

Then, I run the 'Repair Geometry' and it fixes errors for every row. The only error is this one: 'Incorrect ring ordering at 0 in Poles_WGS84'.

Now that it was fixed, the label renders, for example.

Then, my next step is to calculate the X,Y,Z (calculate geometry) in the attribute table and export this table as DBF.

Next, I try to 'Display XY Data' from this table, I select the X,Y and Z and when I run the operation I get:

WARNING 100160: Some of the features have invalid geometry and have been removed from the result
WARNING 000192: Invalid value for rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22,

None of these errors happen in ArcMap 10.5, using the same shapefile as a starting point.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not to nitpick on semantics, but being specific and accurate helps in troubleshooting.  Everything you have posted is a warning, are you only getting warnings or are you getting some errors too?

ArcMap is a little more forgiving with poorly structured polygons than ArcGIS Pro, so your general situation isn't uncommon.  Have you tried running the Repair Geometry tool from ArcMap?  It would be interesting if the tool gives different results between ArcMap and Pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might also want to use Copy Features or FeatureClass to FeatureClass to copy the shapefile into a file geodatabase in Pro as well to have a look at any differences.

Another issue is the origin of the shapefile.  Did it originate in Arcmap or other software?

... sort of retired...
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi gents,

Thanks for your reply.

They are indeed warnings, but the result is empty/NULL where these warnings are being thrown. Not in ArcMap though.

Even after Repairing, in ArcGIS Pro, the Display XY Data operation throws the warnings and the resulting point feature class is empty.

Now, here's the interesting thing: instead of doing all these steps manually, I created a model that runs all of them automatically and, guess what? That doesn't fail! In ArcGIS Pro, that is. The model is doing the repair and everything else, and it's working like a charm. It's very odd, but I guess I'll work with this for now.

The shapefile was generated by a GIS team within my organization and I know they exclusively use ArcMap. I have already emailed them asking for some help too. My customer uses ArcGIS Pro, so this SHP needs definitely to be fixed on their side.

Thank you all

Felipe