Shapefile from autocad civil 3d 2019 wont allow me to add fields to the Attribute table

Jump to solution
02-12-2021 12:19 PM
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

A Shapefile that was "mapexported" from autocad civil 3d 2019 wont allow me to add fields to the Attribute table. It will allow me to click add field, but when the field menu pops up, no new field has been added, and the "Add Field" button at the top of the screen has been grayed out. Is there any way to add new fields to this shape file? I need to create new fields and add text into the attribute table.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Use FeatureClassToFeatureClass tool to get the file into a geodatabase featureclass.

As for read-only attributes, they are checked at the operating system level using File Explorer, not the field view in Pro.

readonly.png

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you check the readonly attribute in Windows File Explorer?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

Yes, when I right click on the shape file in the file explorer and check properties, the "Read Only" box is unchecked.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just to confirm, you check the *.shp, *.shx, *.dbf and whatever other portions of the shapefile exist for the Read Only attribute being set 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

A few of those were set to Read only, I unchecked the boxes and tried to add a field again, and I'm still having the same issue> I tried opening a new map with the same data now that it isn't read only as well, and there was no luck.

0 Kudos
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

JoshBryk_0-1613403619899.png

JoshBryk_1-1613403649940.png

As you can see the add field button isn't grayed out until the fields menu pops up.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What release and license level of ArcGIS Pro are you using?  At ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 there was BUG-000101840 - Unable to add fields via the New Field feature for shapefiles in ArcGIS Pro using an ArcGIS Pro Basic License.

0 Kudos
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

I am currently running ArcGIS Pro 2.3.3

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Use FeatureClassToFeatureClass tool to get the file into a geodatabase featureclass.

As for read-only attributes, they are checked at the operating system level using File Explorer, not the field view in Pro.

readonly.png

... sort of retired...
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

Okay, so Following your instructions, It created a new layer in my drawing order, and I can add fields to this attribute table, as well as edit the contents. When I save the entire map again will the shapefile be updated with it to contain this new layer and attribute table? Or do I need to create a new shapefile from this layer?

0 Kudos