Setting Data Source Issue for LRS Event Tables SDE "Layer's data could not be changed".

Jump to solution
12-11-2020 06:16 AM
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

I noticed an older post from a few years back having the same issue, but there was never any resolution or explanation as to why on the original post https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/arcgis-pro-2-1-and-earlier-layer-s-data-source-co... 

I am updating a lot of our maps with a new SDE table that has the exact same fields as the old table, but just newer additions.  I am encountering a few odd things here:

First:

When I try and "Set Data Source", the first thing that happens is for a brief time I can see all the LRS Event tables, but a few seconds later, the "Portal tab" expands and all the data is no longer visible.  (see Portal Data Issue 1.jpg & Portal Data Issue 2.jpg).

Second:

If I act very quickly before the "Portal tab" expands, and manage to get into the actual LRS Events tables on SDE and select my table, I get an message stating "Layer's data could not be changed".

This is something that is easily done in ArcMap, but not ArcPro.  Any solutions or reasons this is occurring?  It's kind of a pain having to re-add the new LRS Events table, and then duplicate it for every layer I want to update to the new table and import symbology for that and then change all the legends for all the layouts relating to that map if I fail to rename the newest data the same way...

Note: I was not able to access this link at all which may help to explain some of these issues https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/data-management/data-management/arcgis-pro-tips-5-tips-for... 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeteJordan

As of right now 12/15/2020 it turns out this functionality is not yet implemented in Pro.  It's on the enhancements list though so it is being worked on for a future ArcGis Pro release, but for now, the only option to re-link LRS tables is to just add the new table, use the "Make Route Layer Event" and then create a new layer link and import the symbology from the old layer you wanted to update and copy over any Definition Queries from the old table to the new one.

Portal Tab Issue - This turned out to be nothing more than just a lag due to remotely connecting to my work computer and not an actual issue...

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Pete - this is odd behavior certainly.  Try this, double check your *.sde connection file in the Catalog Pane to verify if sees the eGDB.  Then in the Catalog Pane, under Databases right click the *.sde connection and click "Make Default."  Next, go to "Change data source" in the Layer Properties and under Project->Databases, click the Default Geodatabase, your *.sde connection and reset the data source.  Does the same behavior persist?

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

Thanks for responding Robert, 

The Event Table states it's Type is "Enterprise Geodatabase Table"

Right-Clicking on the table in the Database folder has the "Make Default" greyed out, but then I just went back to check it again with this and allowed me to do so.

I'm not finding anything about Project--> Databases in the layer properties at all.  Just the "Set Data Source" under the Source tab in properties (see below).

Data Source.jpg

 If this is what you are talking about, then I am getting the same 2 issues as previously mentioned.  If not, I guess I'm a bit confused where to find the Project->Database in the Maps layer I'm trying to relink.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

When you click "Set Data Source" this will open another window, in the new window try to go to Project->Databases and see if you can set it there via the "Make Default" eGDB.  

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

Nope it just only allows me to "rename" or "copy" this is the same if I'm clicking on the LRS Events Table or the Default Table.

You will also notice the red ! beside 2 other LRS Event tables.  For some reason previous connection just seem to randomly get lost and I don't want to delete them yet until I have all the other maps updated in case I lose data.  (another issue)

PeteJordan_1-1607705934828.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmmm...might be time for a call to Esri Support Services.  Their number is +1-888-377-4575

PeteJordan

Ok thanks I opened up an online ticket then since I'm just a user and may not have access to some details they want immediately on the phone.  Hopefully someone on that end can solve the issue.  If so I'll post the solution here for others to see...

PeteJordan

As of right now 12/15/2020 it turns out this functionality is not yet implemented in Pro.  It's on the enhancements list though so it is being worked on for a future ArcGis Pro release, but for now, the only option to re-link LRS tables is to just add the new table, use the "Make Route Layer Event" and then create a new layer link and import the symbology from the old layer you wanted to update and copy over any Definition Queries from the old table to the new one.

Portal Tab Issue - This turned out to be nothing more than just a lag due to remotely connecting to my work computer and not an actual issue...

KyleC
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Thanks @PeteJordan! I can confirm that there is an existing Enhancement (ENH-000129001) that requests for an easier way to change the data source of a route event layer in ArcGIS Pro. In ArcMap, one has to click on the layer properties, go to source, bring up the Display Route Events window, and there they can change the source.

This Enhancement request's current status is 'In Product Plan'.

AndrewGilbert
New Contributor III

Thanks, @KyleC. Do you have any updates on ENH-000129001? Is there a way we can check the status ourselves?

0 Kudos