Set concurrent use licensing for all users

05-21-2021 03:18 PM
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

By default, ArcGIS Pro expects to use named user license but can be configured to start with concurrent use licensing. This works fine but the configuration for starting with concurrent use license seems to only be effective for the user who was logged in when it was configured. Is there a way to set ArcGIS Pro to start with concurrent use licensing for all users of the computer?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A workaround.

Do you have any other machine (within the network) where ArcGIS License Manager can be migrated? That machine should be up all the time (or when using ArcGIS Pro) using a single profile.

You should be able to configure ArcGIS Pro to use the concurrent use licenses from any profile that can access the ArcGIS LM.

Think Location
0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Sorry, I should have clarified that we have the ArcGIS License Manager running on an internal server that all machines can access. I have no trouble configuring ArcGIS Pro to use the concurrent use licenses.

The problem is currently I have to set that license configuration for each different user on the same computer running ArcGIS Pro. I would like to be able to configure the licensing option in ArcGIS Pro once and have it apply for all users on that computer.

0 Kudos
JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

@DBlake 

Did you ever resolve this issue of concurrent use licenses only being pre-configured for the user that configured them with the license manager?

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

No, but I have not revisited it either. Do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the response.  No suggestions at the moment.  However, I am looking into a similar issue and will post any new information as I gain it!

MathHeinzel
New Contributor II

I was surprised to discover this today, for the first time.  Looking at the registry, I see the changes to the concurrent licence manager stored under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Licensing\Extensions], while the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Licensing has @Not_Set  Was not a problem before, but I may have previously done a silent install with the LM defined in that.  I suppose a regedit would work, but why is the default curent user?

0 Kudos
JohnDorion
New Contributor

I got this working this week. I found that when ArcGIS Pro launches and doesn't find the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI folder in the registry, it copies everything it finds in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ESRI over.

So, set up the user for the concurrent license manager, then copy all the values from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Licensing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Licensing.

One gotcha is that you'll need to delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI folder for every user on the machine that's already run ArcGIS Pro once. 

I'm sure it'd be easy enough to script adding and deleting the registry keys, but we were creating an image so it was ok to do it once.