Service Area Analysis - different results in ArcMap vs ArcPro ?

04-12-2019 08:47 AM
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to create a 2.5 mile service area around all the fire stations with Ladder Trucks. I ran the analysis in ArcMap and in Pro, using the same settings. But the results don't match. The Line generated matches but not the polygons. For example , the screen shot below shows the service area polygons and Line created in Pro (green) and ArcMap(blue) . There are no line generated in the area highlighted in the middle, but the ArcGIS Pro generated service area polygon covers that area. Also, the service area polygon for station 45 looks so different in Pro vs ArcMap even though the line generated are the same.-

ArcPro

ArcMap

ArcMap

Any idea what could be causing this ? Is ArcGIS Pro more accurate than ArcMap?

14 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DylanHarwell
Occasional Contributor

I do this exact analysis for our Fire Department and I just noticed this the other day! Same settings, same station locations, same streets network, different polygons! Kind of troubling eh..

0 Kudos
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

Did you then go with the ArcMap polygon or decide to use the ArcGIS Pro service area polygons? 🙂

0 Kudos
DylanHarwell
Occasional Contributor

I decided to just do it all in Pro from now on to stay consistent, and I think I remember liking the way the Pro polys looked more lol

0 Kudos
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

That's what i was thinking too! But i am wondering why it generated a polygon area where there were no lines generated. (the area highlighted in yellow in my screenshot)

0 Kudos
DylanHarwell
Occasional Contributor

Yea that is odd. I was not generating lines when I ran this analysis, only polygons. I was doing 4 and 8 minute drive times, and I noticed the 4 minute polygons would turn out pretty detailed and follow roads around large open space areas. But the 8 minute polygons were much more generalized in the middle and all the open space areas with no roads were filled in.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Most likely you choose the "Split" option in Pro. That is, split the area evenly between service areas. If you use the default "Overlap" option, you should get results similar to ArcMap. Or in ArcMap, you can choose the  "Not overlapping" option and get similar results as your Pro screen shot.

Jay Sandhu

SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

I used the split option when i ran in Pro and used the Non Overlapping option in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

ArcMap