Semi-Automated Process To Find Similar Terrain in Different Regions of The Earth

10-15-2021 10:42 AM
JohnLong1
New Contributor

Hi all,

I was hoping to find a non-manual process in ArcGIS Pro to help identify similar terrain features in distant areas of the world. For example, I have an area of interest in Europe that has rolling to mountainous terrain, and I've created a 1 and 10 km buffer around it. I then added a terrain model (the highest resolution I found for this area was 30m SRTM data) and clipped the DEM down to the 1 and 10km buffers. I finally ran some different surface analysis tools on the area to get the slope, aspect, and other values. What I'm now looking to do is find similar or nearly identical terrain features within a 1 and 10 km area that is in the US, or a large distance away from the original site in Europe. Manually, I can pick out similar areas of terrain that closely resemble the original area of interest, but does anyone have any ideas on how to partially automate the process to select the best matching candidates? I was hoping to find as close a match as possible without manually looking through something like Google Earth.

I appreciate any suggestions that can be provided.

0 Kudos
0 Replies