Selecting features that are between two buffers/polygons

04-29-2021 09:14 AM
Labels (3)
jgstaley
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to find an analysis tool that will let me see points that fall between two buffers or polygons. Lets say I have 2 buffers...quarter mile and half mile. 

I would want to see my points that are between a quarter mile and a half mile from my site. Ideally I would like to separate these points from the rest of my data as a separate feature (sorta like I clipped them). 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I suggest using the Select By Location tool to select points within .5 mile, then run it again with "remove from selection" for points within 0.25 mile.

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sorry, I took longer to type, didn't mean to repeat your advice/solution.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could use Multiple Ring Buffer (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation specifying your 1/4, 1/2 mile distances and selecting 'ALL' as the dissolve option.

You can then select the 1/4 - 1/2 ring and use that in 'select by location' for our points, or just delete the inner ring.

You could also use the standard buffer tool, create a 1/2 mile buffer, create a 1/4 mile buffer, then use the Erase tool to create the same ring.

You could possibly also use the select by location tool straight way, select Within A Distance of 1/2 mile from your features, then do the same again on the selected features with 1/4 mile but with 'remove from selection' specified.