Search Layer Attributes in ArcGIS Pro Similar to "Find Tool" in ArcMap

Jump to solution
10-02-2015 07:09 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Greetings,

I am the GIS Planner for a local municipality in South Carolina and I've been having some issues with the implementation of ArcGIS Pro. By far the most important tool that I use in my day-to-day workflow is the "Find" tool, the tool that allows me to quickly search the attributes of the layers in my map. Everything that we do in our city is tied and indexed via the individual parcel number. The address helps as well but not all parcels have an assigned address, and we have ~100,000 parcels of land in our city. The ability to type in the parcel number in the Find tool, hit the search button, and seconds later find the specific parcel is the most important tool that we use as an organization. For the life of me I can't find a way to do this in ArcGIS Pro, though admittedly I haven't had the chance to sit down and go through every window and help file. Long story short, is there something simple that I'm overlooking? I see the "Locate" tool but it seems like that only searches addresses via a locator and I can't figure out how to get it to search my layer attributes, if it is even possible. Until I have the ability to search the attributes of my layers I won't be utilizing Pro at all, it just doesn't make any sense at this point. So, if this is a user error and I'm overlooking the tool/process to do it can someone please fill me in? And if there isn't a way to do this as of right now can the ESRI developers PLEASE put this in a future release?

Thank you for your help,

-Justin

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyHynes
Esri Contributor

Hi Justin,

The team is working on a "Feature Search" tool in ArcGIS Pro.  It is on the way.  Also, thanks for letting us know that this is important for your work, we are very keen on prioritizing the things that you need to use ArcGIS Pro in your day-to-day workflows. 

Thanks,

Woody

View solution in original post

14 Replies
RegisShogan1
New Contributor II

Hi Justin,

Maybe someone from the Pro team will chime in on the timeline for a Find tool.... I believe it was in the works.

In the meantime, one option is to use ArcMap to create a general single line locator from your parcel data, using your parcel numbers as the KeyField.  Add that locator into your Pro project and the Locate tool will use it.  Not a 100% solution for your troubles, but I hope it helps.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll do that for the meantime. I hope the developers will eventually put the tool back in there, it is very useful.

-Justin

0 Kudos
WoodyHynes
Esri Contributor

Hi Justin,

The team is working on a "Feature Search" tool in ArcGIS Pro.  It is on the way.  Also, thanks for letting us know that this is important for your work, we are very keen on prioritizing the things that you need to use ArcGIS Pro in your day-to-day workflows. 

Thanks,

Woody

BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

In addition to Woody's heads up, you can create a Single Field locator for your data now, but your parcel ID field will need to be string (or copied to a field that is string); you could return the actual integer value as the Additional Field parameter.  Use the Create Address Locator geoprocessing tool and the Single Field locator style.

TedChapin
Occasional Contributor III

1.2?

0 Kudos
WoodyHynes
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately not 1.2.  1.2 does have a bunch of other new features to explore. What's new in ArcGIS Pro 1.2—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the feedback, I look forward to it. ArcGIS Pro looks to be very cool and I'll start using it more often once the tool is included in a future release.

-Justin

CaryLancaster
New Contributor II

We would also like to see this tool as a priority as it is virtually useless to us as an electrical utility to not be able to search for a particular asset on our network which is thousands of kilometers long.

if someone could give us a timeline for this planned addition that would be awesome

I would recommend that the pro team take a look at the future releases and take into account the fact that they have got an incredible asset management tool available (if would just look at it from all angles including the basic user) the product is super quick and user friendly but you would think that the most obvious of tools would be there, until then no one is going to use it.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 1.3 will have Feature Search.

Brad