Screen Redraw Issues when Geoprocessing window is undocked

08-02-2018 07:52 PM
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

Running ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 with 4 monitors on an NVIDIA M4000 with current drivers.

I needed more screen space for my map, so I undocked the Geoprocessing window to a different screen. I'm having issues of it getting overdrawn when not maximized. The top and bottom thirds don't update until my mouse scrolls over the areas. The effect is almost like a round paintbrush that redraws the window. 

This doesn't happen when the window is maximized or when it's docked into the main app window. 

Does it matter that this is screen 3 and 4? Are more processing resources allocated to lower numbered screens?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Which begs the question, what happens when you float it to monitor 2?

Currently using 2 monitors and I haven't noticed anything, but that may have to do with the data table (size, source etc).

GabrielMarcus
New Contributor II

Yes, same effects no matter what monitor. The behavior persists even when undocked over the ArcGIS window as well, until it's docked. Maximizing the window is the only way to avoid the behavior. 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Gabriel Marcus‌ does this occur with any other windows, like the Contents pane or Catalog pane when undocked on the 3rd or 4th screen?

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus
New Contributor II

I was wrong about the most recent driver version. I'm was using 23.21.13.9158, but 23.21.13.9189 is out now. I just installed it and verified that it does not make a difference. 

I'm not sure this matters, but it may:

My monitors go in this order 2, 3, 4, 1.   3,4,1 are the 24" screens and 2 is a 32" TV. 

On 4 and 1, I can take another window (acrobat for example), position it over an undocked window (Catalog, Geoprocessing, doesn't matter) and the window is "overprinted". It stays that way when I move it from 4 to 1, but if I move it to 3 or 2, it refreshes itself. I also can't generate the problem in 3 or 2. 

When the window is maximized in 4 or 1 then minimized, the window is basically just a rectangle. When I mouseover something the window, it appears and then disappears. Mousing over doesn't make the objects under the pointer reappear permanently. 

The max/min error doesn't appear at all in monitor 3, but does in 2. 

I hope this makes sense!

*edited to correct monitor numbers. 

0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

I'm also having this same type of issue! I first noticed it when undocking the attribute table. I've also tried it with undocking the catalog pane, symbology, pretty much everything. 

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

I'm curious if you have the same type of video card? I am running a NVIDIA M4000. Driver 21.21.14.1195 from 11/8/2018. 

I was happy to see that someone else reported this problem. I haven't bothered to undock any windows since I reported this issue, but after reading your response, I did. 

I have 3 22" monitors. The far left one is my main screen. When I undock the attribute window and move it to the central monitor, it redraws as just a box outline and whatever is under the window displays. If I mouseover the window, the cursor "paints" the contents back in. 

The python window acts differently.

After I click, drag and release, the window starts it's redraw process. In the text entry part of the screen on the bottom, it appears like there's a progress bar that moves from left to right. Once done, the window redraws. Since I moved the window from the left to the middle to right window, when I click on the Python window (now on my R screen), it reverts to an image of the area of the MIDDLE window before it redraws. Strange, right?

Maximizing the windows causes them to not have any redraw issues. When not maximized, there are redraw issues. 

I hope that makes sense.

0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

Hi Gabriel, 

My driver info is:

NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
Driver Version: 10.18.13.6246
Date: 4/27/2016

I could probably update it. But another one of my coworkers has the same issue, but started 2 years after I did (so I assume his driver is up to date), but then a friend of mine who works at a different company didn't have the issue at all. My boss doesn't have the issue and his driver is the same as mine. So I am not sure what to do anymore. 

0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

I just updated the driver, and I am still having issues. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Caitlin,

Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Also, Can you provide a screenshot of the Performance Options in Windows?

This can be found in Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > click on the settings button under Performance.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos