Select to view content in your preferred language

scene layer package

07-07-2016 07:32 PM
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Anyone knows how to extract the Scene Layer Package (.spk)? I shared a layer containing multipatch features as spk, but I can't open it in ArcGIS Pro or ArcScene.  and the Extract Package tool does not handle spk.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Dan, I have no problems to share it in AGOL, but when other people download it, they can't open it in ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro. they can only view it in ArcGIS Earth, this is a bit odd to me.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is just my personal point of view.

I think the Scene Package is meant to be used as a web scene in ArcGIS Online/Portal with Data Store 10.3.1 and above. It stores the cache of the multipatch dataset (It does not compress and store the original multipatch dataset). That is why, it can not be extracted.

Think Location
0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Jayanta,

I should give more context: I actually want to share a scene package with someone who has ArcGIS pro installed. he can't view the SPK directly, neither can he extract the original data from the package so that he can view it in that way... because the package can be created in ArcGIS Pro, so I thought Pro should be able to recognize the format and open it.

ESRI doesn't make it very clear for the Scene Package. but for Package in general,  in its online help it says:

"A package is a compressed file containing GIS data. ..... The recipient of your package unpacks it and can immediately begin using its contents. Packages can also be used to archive your work."

So no matter how we share it, by email or ArcGIS Online/ Portal, or even copying to a colleague's USB, they should be able to open it to view it. if they want original data, they should be able to extract the original data.

Sharing a SPK in ArcGIS online/portal is fine, and theoretically people can view it in the web scene viewer. but SPKs are potentially big, not ideal for everyone to view through internet (Intranet should be OK).  I guess most people will download the package and open it in their own desktop applications.

Finally, I can open the package in ArcGIS Earth, which I don't really need for other cases!

0 Kudos