Scaling a layout that is printed on a transpancey to match a paper map

12-28-2021 02:55 PM
SeanMurray13
New Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro (personal license) and a new user. I am trying to print a layout onto a transparency to use as an overlap on a paper map. I have the my layout set to a 1:50,000 scale and the paper map is a 1:50,000 paper map but when I print the transparency the grid lines on the transparency do not match the paper map grid lines (the transparency grids are too large). I am printing to an Epson Workforce Pro WF-3720. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Print a map or layout—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

and you are printing to the actual size?

when you say the grid lines are too large, is it in all directions or are they shifted?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SeanMurray13
New Contributor

I believe I am printing to actual size - it is set to 100%. The errors are symmetrical: too large for lat and long.

The grid lines match the features the same in both the ArcGIS map and the paper map. It just seems like the printing scale is wrong.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Is the "paper" size for the transparency the same paper size the map was printed on? That could result in a difference due to scaling. Can you share a picture of the printer properties you are using?

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
SeanMurray13
New Contributor

SeanMurray13_0-1640877652689.png

I believe both are set to 8.5x11 and the scale is set to 1:50,000 at 100% using UTM. At 1:50,000 a "grid box" on a paper may should be 2 cm but on the printed transparency they are about 2.75. And as I look closer it looks like the UTM lines do NOT match locations indicated by a Defense Mapping Agency map (off by about 200 meters).

0 Kudos
DougGreen
Occasional Contributor II

When you say "grids" are you talking about a "graticule" that you have set up in the map layout? If so, you can use the instructions at that link to change the interval (the number of degrees or map units) between each grid line and adjust other settings to see if you can get it to more closely match. 

Another thought, if you already show a graticule on the map you're trying to overlay your new transparency on, you could print yours without the graticule or "grid" showing. As long as the comments by others about 100% print scaling are followed, the features on your map should align and you wouldn't need the "grid".

0 Kudos
SeanMurray13
New Contributor

I am referring to the lines added with the may layout so I guess "graticule" is the right term.  The transparency will be place over a mounted paper map for briefings but it may be taken down and handwritten symbology added at UTM coordinates and then placed back up later (long story but many different overlays used at different times - so one person briefing one overlay while another person is updating the second overlay) so the graticules are needed.

0 Kudos
DougGreen
Occasional Contributor II

Ok, with graticules, you can set all the interval details and things in the settings as described in the link I provided. Check the original map to determine what interval you need to use. However, it sounds like your graticule might be using the same interval but they are about 200 ft off from the original map. This sounds like a different projection may have been used on the original map.

0 Kudos