Saving in ArcGIS Pro is very clunky

06-03-2019 01:39 PM
SUSANMYERS
New Contributor III

Oldschool ArcGIS user... I find the ability to perform the various saves in ArcGIS Pro to be very CLUNKY. 

If a change is made to an alias (whether to the current layer or the data source) of a field in the Fields view of the table, and then I go to close the Fields tab of that layer, I get "Unsaved Changes Found" asking me if I am sure I want to close the pane...that all unsaved edits to the workspace will be lost.  So, I try to find anywhere where the option to Save is not grayed out...  Not finding any. I guess I wish there were someplace in the program window where I could see a separate small panel overview summarizing the various unsaved edits with save buttons next to them so I could just click them and be done.  Ugh.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The Save button will be grayed out for the Fields View if you have unsaved feature edits (in a map).

When you hover over that button, it will tell you that:

But we know it's been a source of frustration, so in Pro 2.4 there is an info banner which hopefully will help more:

SUSANMYERS
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for your speedy reply.  InDesign has a neat feature where it constantly appraises the user of the "number of errors" and provides a quick access utility that lists each one and provides the direct ability to fix each one.  I could see this type of feature to make saves very helpful.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Good input.  Thank you, Susan.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fairly minor, but it would be good if there was also a warning if the field was being used by editor tracking (which prevents field editing/deletion and throws ERROR 002557, which can't be found) or other functions which restrict field updates/edits. Just one more thing users wouldn't have to check

0 Kudos