Route editing toolbar in ArcPro??

04-09-2020 04:50 AM
MáireDolan
New Contributor III

Is the route editing toolbar still unavailable in ArcPro?

There is some basic functionality with regards to linear referencing in ArcMap that doesn't appear to be available in ArcPro?? Am I missing something or are there any plans to incorporate into ArcPro??

Talk was a few years ago that work was ongoing, is that the case?

I am looking to add new routes to an existing route feature class amongst many other tools I was able to use in ArcMap but still can't in ArcPro!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MichaelMorgan4
Occasional Contributor

So far I have been able to create routes derived from a road centerline layer, using the Create Routes tool in the Linear Referencing toolbox. I am measuring by standard length in US feet, and setting my Measure Factor to 0.00018939 to convert feet to miles. The resulting route layer is basically what I expect it to be.

One problem with this is that I seem to be getting M-coordinates that are being rounded to integers. This seemed to be a problem only when I looked at vertices using the Edit Vertices tool. When I first brought in the layer and identified a point on a route, the popup would indicate the measure value of the point in miles in 3 decimal places. After editing vertices (only to look at M values for each vertex), each M coordinate would only be an integer. A quick check of the layers Source page showed M resolution as 1, which I have no way of setting using the Create Routes tool.

Can I reset this M resolution to get 3 decimal places in my M values? Having integer mile values won't do me any good of course. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Katrin
by
New Contributor III

Hi Michael

How do you add lines to an existing route in Pro? I am trying to figure out how to edit our road network in ArcGIS Pro. So far in ArcMap, we first created the centerline of a new road to a temporary layer. Then, started edit session on the layer of the existing road network, selected the new road line feature and used Make Route tool to append it to the existing road network. Any ideas how I could recreate this workflow in Pro?
Thanks

0 Kudos
MichaelMorgan4
Occasional Contributor

It looks like as of Arc Pro version 2.6, there are M-value edits possible in the Edit Vertices context menu:

Without having tried it yet, this should make it possible to edit routes normally, like other linear features, adding segments and such, and then recalculating measures.

0 Kudos
MichaelMorgan4
Occasional Contributor

I suppose I should post the question as an original question to get an answer. The good news on the "linear referencing in ArcPro" front is that it looks like we can access route and LR tools with just the base program with no extensions, all under the Linear Referencing toolbox.

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

LRS community: Updating this old thread for tracking and community documentation.

ArcGIS Pro 2.9 has introduced a Linear Referencing tab on the ribbon that provides a new way to manage, visualize, and process measured data. Additional functionality to update route meaures has been introduced.

Linear ReferencingLinear Referencing

(Note: this does not require advanced LRS licensing like Pipeline Referencing or Roads & Highways)

Viewing measures was added to the Navigation > Explore tool at ArcGIS Pro 2.4. Further enhancement  includes additional measure fields in the pop-up display. Identify Route tool capabilities are documented as View Route measures.

Another neat addition is Find Routes that allows you to search by providing a Route Identifier and measure value without having to know the exact coordinates of the routes. 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos