Reverse symbol order in ArcGIS pro (2.9.0) not working as it is supposed to be

12-20-2021 09:29 PM
DineshTuladhar
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS 2.9.0 and having issue re-sorting the classified symbology for elevation layer. I am trying to flip the order of the depth ranges in legend to be listed from shallow (on top) to deeper, instead of displaying deeper to shallow. Looks like we should be able to do it by clicking on 'More' under 'Classes' tab then 1. 'Reverse values' and 2. 'Reverse symbol order'. 

For some reason, when I apply 'Reverse symbol order' the symbol flips in legend/symbol list but the content in mapframe is also flipped. Same steps with same data, works without any issue in ArcGIS pro 2.8.2. I tried saving a desired layer file in ArcMap 10.8 as well as Pro 2.8.2 and import into my ArcGIS 2.9.0 but the .lyr file also shows deep (on top) to shallow depth in legend/TOC though it is displayed correctly in mapframe.

Any help on what could be causing this issue and solution please.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I can't reproduce the issue on my ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0.

In my case, the functions works as it should.

Reverse Symbol Order: Reverses only the symbology of the classes.

Reverse Values: Reverses only the order of the classes values

Have you tried rebooting the system and executing the activity on a new ArcGIS Pro project?

If the issue persists, try adding a few screenshots. Also mention the parameters used in the symbology.

Think Location
DineshTuladhar
New Contributor II

Hi Jayanta,
Thanks a lot for the response. I have tried all that I could think of including restarting the computer, doing in fresh ArcGIS project, exporting as layer file, but same issue. Below is a screenshot showing classified - value reversed - symbol reversed outputs.

DineshTuladhar_0-1641778931515.png

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I might have failed to understand the issue here.

Could you tell/show me what is your desired order of values and symbols?

Think Location
0 Kudos
DineshTuladhar
New Contributor II

In the first screen shot, the bathymetry (stored as negative values) are classified as five classes viz. Deeper than 20m, 15-20, 10-15, 5-10 and 0 to 5 m. Deeper values are shown with darker gradient of blue, which is what I want and I just need to flip the order the classes so that it displays 0 to 5m first and deepest value at the bottom, for the purpose of legend. Second screen shot just shows the intermediate result after applying the 'reverse values'. But when I reverse the symbol order (third screen shot) the list of classes in symbology pane and content panel look ok but the color gradients in the map is incorrect.

0 Kudos
JESSICAGreene
New Contributor

Was this every resolved? If so can you share the fix, I am currently experiencing this issue

0 Kudos
STEVEMARKASON
New Contributor II

I am having the same exact problem. And for some crazy reason the program changed the order of my reclassified symbols on a separate project that was already saved and finished. And I cannot get it to return back to the original order. I was online with a technician (Rachael) today and she was very helpful but we did not resolve the issue. I sent her my project package. This is a big problem for two of my projects. Any other advise than above, which I have tried? Thank tou

DineshTuladhar
New Contributor II

Hi Steve,
Yes it is very frustrating when we can't figure out what is causing the problem, let alone finding the solution. BTW what version of ArcGIS pro are you using?

Thanks

0 Kudos
STEVEMARKASON
New Contributor II

Hi Dinesh, I have 2.9 with latest updates. My case is # 02969539 and  I uploaded screenshots and other information to the transfer site:

https://mft.esri.com/

Thanks so much for the prompt respone.  You guys rock!

0 Kudos
STEVEMARKASON
New Contributor II

Hey Dinesh, I was fused and thought you were a ESRI Tech… Cheers!

0 Kudos