Requested operation could not be completed error when symbolizing

01-25-2019 08:16 PM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello old friends,

In ArcGIS pro 2.3 when i attempt to symbolize using "Unique Values" on a feature class that is joined to table i get the "Requested operation could not be completed".

I get this error regardless if i am symbolizing on one field or two or in a field in the feature class or the table, however when i remove the join guess what?

It works!

Can ArcGIS Pro 2.3 not handle symbolizing when in a join is in place or am i missing something?

Capture 1.jpg - with join.

Capture 2.jpg - w/o join

Other notes:

Data is in a versioned enterprise sql database. 

15 Replies
GunnarKennedy
New Contributor

Did you ever figure this out? I too am having this issue. 

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not able to throw the error in same environment and workflow. Exact steps to reproduce? What type of SQL database? What version of SQL? What type of versioning? Where is the table? What kind of Join? How many records in the feature class? How many records in the table? Same error if you bring the data into a FGDB? This is probably best solved with a call to tech support.

0 Kudos
HirofumiYamakawa
New Contributor II

My version is ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2

I had same error message "Requested operation could not be completed" when attempted to change symbology from Single Symbol to "Unique Values" (this feature class has more than 100 unique values).  I also noticed followings.

1. Failed to open its attribute table (getting message something like "Could not load the data, General error...."

2. I was able to view same feature class in ArcCatalog 10.5.1 

3. I was able to view same feature class in ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1. and able to change symbology to Unique Values

After attempting to fix this issue with my limited knowledge (refresh, remove feature class from Contents Pane and add it again, close the project and reopen...),  my application suddenly closed without any warnings.  I then open it and the issue was fixed!!

I have no idea as to why or how this happened but thought to share what I experienced.

huangbinhua
New Contributor II

I Have the same question like yours, Have you solved the problem yet?  How to solve it ?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Sorry that you're running into this.  I shared this with the development team and they are able to reproduce the error when working with a versioned table with a join and unique values.  They have logged this as an issue to get fixed.

AnnaLM
by
New Contributor

Is there any update to this bug?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The internal issue I referred to above is showing as fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.5.  That is scheduled to be released on February 6th so keep an eye out.

What's New in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 - YouTube 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
RossCBrewer
New Contributor III

Using Pro 2.6.1 and experiencing the same issue.  I checked both fields being used for the unique values symbology on a layer, and neither field has null values.  I also tried removing and adding the layer back (per Jason Harshman's suggestion above), but that didn't remove the "Requested operation could not be complete" message.  I've also sent feedback to the Esri team that wrote Scale-based symbol classes—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation , but no response yet.

**Follow-up:  I was able to set different scales per class only after removing/recreating all classes, which was time-consuming.  I did not have to remove/add back the whole layer itself to the Content pane.

0 Kudos
AnnaLM
by
New Contributor

Has anyone found a work-around to this besides exporting to a filegdb or writing the join field to the original feature? Anything in Arcade? Thanks

0 Kudos