Render/Performance issue

03-01-2021 06:04 AM
MatthewMinick
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I am new to ArcGIS Pro (I have been using ArcGIS desktop for quite long time now).

I am trying to compose the maps using ArcGIS Pro (Create Layout). But somehow the layer rendering/labeling seems to be slow compared to ArcGIS desktop (When I use the same data).

Can anyone please tell me what could be the reason? Is there any rendering/display settings to be tweaked?

Tags (1)
13 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @MatthewMinick First run through Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro to ensure that the machine and graphics card meet the ArcGIS Pro requirements which are different than ArcMap.  You will also find display and rendering settings in that document that you can work with.  

Work through those steps first and follow up to let us know if you're still seeing performance differences.  

Are you using the Standard labeling engine in both ArcMap and Pro?  Or Maplex in both ArcMap and Pro? (I ask because Maplex is an option in ArcMap, but is the default in Pro).

MatthewMinick
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply,

I ran the tool. I have attached the results. Please check.

I am guessing it may be because there is no dedicated video card in my system.

I am using Maplex label engine.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Yeah - having a dedicated card might help.  Did you work with any of the display options: 

KoryKramer_0-1614623023143.png

or anything from the labeling section

KoryKramer_1-1614623060924.png

Did any of those help?

0 Kudos
Scott_Jeffrey
New Contributor II
Matthew,

I have a couple of questions before I give an answer. Are you drawing in images from a server? Are the images on your machine? What kind of images are you processing? Are you processing images for analysis or are you just displaying the imagery is a layer?

There are definitely some tweaks you can make in ArcGIS pro to make processing faster. If you are just displaying the images as a base map and you're not doing any analysis you can definitely speed up the processing by ensuring that you are building pyramids for your images. You can find the settings for building pyramids under the analysis tab and scrolling down to the raster storage selection. Make sure that the build pyramids box is checked, set the resampling technique is sat to bilinear. Also, if you're using a quad core machine then you can set processor type in the same environments. Down below the raster storage section you'll see a section that says processor type. If you hover over the space to the left of the processor type command and click on the information tab you can assign different processors to carry on the calculations. If you have multiple GPU's you can also assign more than one GPU to do the processing. This will vastly increase the speed with which the rasters are rendered. There are other things that you can do and if you give some more specifics I can make suggestions.

Scott

Scott Jeffrey GISP
Professor, Program Director
CCBC Geospatial Applications Program | Facebook: CCBCGIS |LinkedIn: CCBC Geospatial Applications Program
CCBC Survey Technology Program |Facebook: CCBCSurveying|LinkedIn: CCBC Survey Technology Program
Office: Classroom and Technology (CLLB) Building Room 019C
Phone: (o) 443-996-5693 | sjeffrey@ccbcmd.edu

Engineering Department (443) 840-4444
School of Business, Technology, & Law (SBTL)
The Community College of Baltimore County
800 South Rolling Road | Catonsville, MD | 21228
CCBC. The incredible value of education.

0 Kudos
MatthewMinick
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am rendering shapefiles (Points, Polygons).

I am not rendering any image as of now, except the default basemap which shows the roads, lakes/rivers etc.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Just adding locally-stored shapefiles to a map in Pro is not a geoprocessing task, and should not under-perform ArcMap. With that in mind, ArcGIS Pro performance issues are not an isolated anomaly: Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow??? Unfortunately the onus to actually prove this is on you, which you can do with https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000013215 and https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/announcements/announcements/how-to-use-arcgis-pro-perftool....

MatthewMinick
New Contributor II

Hi,

I guess the issue was with the labeling (Because I have 10 or more layers labeled together) so I tweaked the Inbound and Outbound limits in the Labeling properties. It is better now, Not very fast, but better.

I also changed the display setting as suggested by @KoryKramer 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

@MatthewMinick I'm glad to hear that it is better, but if you are comparing to ArcMap and noting that draw time in Pro is slower, we would want to get this example to the team to investigate.

We have your 'can you run it' specs from the earlier comment.  In order to understand if the performance may be impacted by the machine's limited dedicated video RAM, would you be able to share a map package?  If your map was originally created in ArcMap and you imported it into ArcGIS Pro, could you share the mpk from ArcMap? 

If it was created in Pro, would you be able to create a handful of bookmarks at different scales that demonstrate different labeling densities, record the times you're seeing for labels to draw for each respective bookmark, and send us those stats along with the mpkx?  You can email me at kkramer@esri.com.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
RBierma
New Contributor II

Latching onto this topic, I have a map that renders pretty quick in Desktop and I had recreated it in Pro and it labels painfully slow. I then went and imported the original map document instead of remaking it by hand, same issue.  It does not have any imagery, and my computer performance is 100% not the issue.  It doesn't include any ESRI Basemap layers, it is just a PLSS grid on a large piece of paper with a couple of other shapefile features and it is so slow to label in the sections.