Renaming a shape file and all associated files

08-17-2022 12:25 PM
Labels (3)
mkhenson
New Contributor III

Greetings....quick question:

When using ArcMap, I could rename a shape file, and it would also automatically rename the associated files with it (prj...etc).  When I try this in ArcGis pro, it only renames the .shp file.  Any idea what I might be doing wrong, or what I need to be doing otherwise?  Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1 and was able to successfully rename all the shapefile components using the Catalog Pane in ArcGIS Pro.  In the shapefile folder in the Catalog Pane, right-click the shapefile and choose rename.  Rename the file.  In File Explorer, verified all shapefile components are renamed correctly.  What is your workflow?

0 Kudos
mkhenson
New Contributor III

right click on the shape file name.  Do a rename.  Check in windows explorer, and the only file renamed is the shp file.

0 Kudos
mkhenson
New Contributor III

i should say "right click ini the catalog pane"

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting.  What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
mkhenson
New Contributor III

Arcgis Pro 2.9.0

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I don't see anything in the internals about a BUG or similar customer reports.  I wonder if the shapefile is corrupt.  You could run the Repair Geometry GP tool described here or create a new shapefile from the old, test the renaming workflow or export to a file geodatabase feature class, try the rename procedure and then export it back to a shapefile.  Or rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD in your c:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/local and c:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/roaming to see if that fixes the problem.  Any possibility of upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.0?

0 Kudos
mkhenson
New Contributor III
thanks for your efforts....I just did it 3 times, and the 3rd time it worked. Very strange, but I'm good now!

TamsenWaldron
New Contributor II

I just had the same problem and had to manually rename all the parts in window explorer.  Such a waste of time and it worked fine in ArcMap but not Pro.  Just another reason I dislike Pro...  It always forces me to work harder not smarter.

0 Kudos