Remove overlapping areas based on an attribute field

Jump to solution
09-08-2020 01:35 PM
HaileyWright1
New Contributor III

Hello, I have a polygon layer that contains overlapping areas. I would like to remove the overlapping areas based on a comparison of the overlapping attribute fields. In this example, keep only the area with the most recent year. I know I can do this by setting a topology rule and editing each overlap individually, but I'm trying to wrap my head around a faster way using the overlay toolset. Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaSharp-Heward
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Hailey,

Overlay tools (Union, Intersect etc.) can be run with a single input to find self-overlaps, which may very well help out with what you're trying to do! 

How Intersect works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

How Union works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I imagine in this case you would want to use Intersect! Worth running it and seeing what the output looks like. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoshuaSharp-Heward

Hi Hailey,

Overlay tools (Union, Intersect etc.) can be run with a single input to find self-overlaps, which may very well help out with what you're trying to do! 

How Intersect works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

How Union works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I imagine in this case you would want to use Intersect! Worth running it and seeing what the output looks like. 

HaileyWright1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the tip Joshua! The resulting Intersect allowed me to process the overlaps pretty quickly.

Hailey 

JoshuaSharp-Heward

Glad that worked out Hailey! If you're happy with the answer mark this question as solved to close it off  

0 Kudos
GISLearner
New Contributor III

Hi Hailey, what steps did you take to do it? I want to do the same thing based on a number attribute, but not sure how to use Intersect and/or Union to do it

0 Kudos