Refresh Layers in ArcGIS Pro with a refresh interval.?

04-28-2016 07:54 AM
JawadhHabeeb1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Is there a way to refresh layer in ArcGIS Pro at a particular interval of time making it continuous refresh , I know F5 gives a refresh, But  i need to refresh a particular layer at a particular Intervals as I am using a geoEvent extension for a Layer.

10 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

the Cache tab in layer properties allows you to set a refresh on intervals.

0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III

I am curious about how exactly the cache and updates are done.  If I am referencing un-versioned feature classes that are updated regularly (anywhere from a few times a minute to a few times an hour)

If I have clear cache every 5 minutes and the map is sitting open in a project idle for 5 minutes without a pan or zoom or anything, user is checking facebook or something, will the display update every 5 minutes with the updates?  Is it truly like hitting F5 in ArcMap?  What about open attribute tables will they update with new rows also?

0 Kudos
AlexanderGray

the cache tab doesn't do that.  I set the cache to 5 minutes and left the map open for 3 hours.  Unless I did a pan or zoom, the map did not refresh itself with the latest data.  Next I am trying with no cache but I suspect it will do the same.  I wonder if I started a timer on an extension and triggered an async refresh on the timer event if I would achieve the refresh on interval.  I doesn't seem like it is an out of the box functionality.

0 Kudos
JawadhHabeeb1
Occasional Contributor

Same here, layers are refreshed only If I Pan or Zoom.

Wonder if there s any other way to refresh layers...

0 Kudos
AustinMcEver
New Contributor

I too am having similar issues. I am using the GeoEvent extension to stream data to attributes of one of my feature layers. To test, I am streaming pseudo-random data. I set the "layer should be refreshed periodically" section to 1 second in the General tab of the layer properties, and I set the Cache option to "Don't cache any data locally." By clicking a point and examining the pop up, I can tell that my data is streaming to the layer, but the layer itself is not updating. To be more specific, I mapped the random attribute to unclassed colors, and the colors only change sometimes when I zoom.

I noticed this post is getting a little old, so I wanted to see if anyone has made any progress, figured out if there's another setting that needs to be adjusted, or otherwise found a way to stream real time data (at least one point per second) to ArcGIS Pro (or any other mapping tool) such that layers like heat maps or unclassed colors will update in real time.

Edit:

I am also trying my application in ArcGIS Online. If I click the ellipses for my layer, and change the refresh interval, the layer updates as expected. The application is limited to 0.1 minutes, but if I type 0.01 minutes as the interval, the map appears to update with that rate. However, once I hit enter or remove my cursor from the input box, the layer stops updating and the checkbox indicates the layer is no longer refreshing. If anyone knows if it is possible to permanently overwrite the 0.1 minute limitation in AGOL, that could also be helpful.

0 Kudos
JohnSolly4
Esri Contributor

Just wanted to update everyone that this can be set in the general tab of the Layer Properties.

KevinMayall

I'm also seeing problems with this.  I have a web layer in ArcGIS Online that I am accessing in ArcGIS Pro.  I opened the web layer and interacted with it, and then I went out and edited the data with Collector.  I came back to my desk and the edited data appeared in my web browser but not in ArcGIS Pro.  I set the "Layer should be refreshed periodically" to 5 seconds and nothing refreshed.  I hit Clear Cache button in Properties/Cache, then panned and zoomed but still nothing refreshed.  It finally showed the refreshed data only when I exited Pro and then opened the project again.

Kevin
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin (and others) - one thing to consider is that you may need to disable the Feature Cache.  This is done from the workspace rather than on individual layers.  Click the data sources view on the TOC (looks like a geodatabase can), find the workspace your web layer is in, right-click on it and choose Disable Feature Cache.  

KevinMayall

Thank you Jeremy!  That did the trick!

Kevin