Select to view content in your preferred language

Red Exclamation Mark, Can't download PDF of Maps

10-24-2022 08:27 AM
BurdickH7
New Contributor

When I open a new map in ArcGIS I get a red exclamation mark next to the world topographic map, and I've noticed that some of the base maps remain blank rather than showing anything on them. I can still go through most things, but when I go to download a map to PDF it tells me that there is an error with the source layer. I am using the latest version. Any help would be very appreciated!

BurdickH7_0-1666625369076.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

Have you confirmed that you are logged in to ArcGIS Online (or the portal that hosts your basemaps)?

You can see the basemap's location by double clicking on the layer to open its Properties dialog and then selecting Source from the list on the left. 

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1666627858505.png

- Holly
0 Kudos
BurdickH7
New Contributor

Hi Holly, 

Thank you for your suggestion. I checked to see if I am logged in and this is what it looked like. From what I can see it looks like I am connected to a server, but I don't have the options to look at the Extent, Spatial Reference, or Domain, Resolution, and Tolerance. When I hover over the exclamation point it says "click to repair layer's data source". I am assuming because I can't see all the same info that I'm not actually connected to ArcGIS Online, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your help!

BurdickH7_0-1666630627365.png

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey

Some suggestions:

• Copy | Paste the server address into an Internet browser to see if you can make a connection. If not, it might be a permission thing.
  • Check your Options settings here BarryNorthey_0-1666637071041.png

I leave mine at None and add a basemap only when needed.

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

At the top right of the Pro window, you can see which portal you are logged into by clicking on your user name. (If you only see "sign in" up there, then go ahead and sign into ArcGIS Online with a public or organizational account.) As long as you're signed into ArcGIS Online, that link displayed in your layer properties screenshot should work.

- Holly
0 Kudos