Recommendations for Ergonomic Office Chairs with Lumbar Support for GIS Individuals working Long Hours (9+/Daily)

07-02-2019 09:01 AM
NadiaNoori
New Contributor II

I'm not too sure where I can ask this question on this forum though I thought it would be the best place to hear from a individuals like me who work over 9-10 hours a day sitting in front of a computer and working with geo-spatial data. I've been doing some research on it, but everything is all over the place in terms of height, fabric, design. 

I'm a 5'5 female, mesomorph body type and average weight. I have degenerative disc disease so proper lumbar support is necessary. I sit for about nine hours 4-5 days a week, I work up to 40 hours or more so soft cushioning would be ideal as well. Two chairs that are acclaimed across the web that I found were in the $600-1000 range, which isn't exactly what I'm looking for right now. 

Something $300 and less is more realistic. If anyone has any recommendation or suggestions, I would really appreciate it, as it would give me some direction. Thanks! 

- Nadia 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I had to look up what mesomorph meant.  I have a Herman Miller chair.  It cost around $1400 but we got them in bulk.  It is very comfortable for all day long. 

For $300 or less you really are going to be more limited for high end chairs for specific back issues.

You best bet may be to go to Office Max and check out their selection.  Some office supply professionals have a loaner program where you can lease a chair for a week or two to check it out. 

NadiaNoori
New Contributor II

Thank you for your comment Robert. I should have clarified, mesomorph means muscular and well-built. 

I saw that chair, its the Embody model. I really like that one and it is my first choice as well though my office is on a budget and this is slightly a couple hundred over. I'll try to bring it up anyway. 

With time and location limitations, I haven't been able to venture out and try some chairs out for myself. Though it was helpful to know about the loaner program, I did not know of that. I will look into some local suppliers in that case! 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

We have an office professional company that brought out 3 different model chairs for us to try.  We each tried them for 2 days.

Yes I looked it up what it meant and figured out it was a humble brag. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The most important suggestion I can make, don't be sitting for 9+ hours a day.  A good chair is important, but I would say no chair can overcome the generally negative effects of sitting for prolonged periods of time 5 days a week. I would look into either a desk to desktop addon that allows you to stand or sit throughout the day.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Our company offers the option of standing desks that move up and down. They are growing in popularity. 

I have been meaning to ask Joshua.  Any relation to Dr.'s Bixby from SCSU

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

None, at least not that I am aware.  Now that you have pointed it out, I will have to take a closer look at the family tree since Dr. Bixby is in the same neck of the woods that my family resides.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

There were two Dr. Bixby's at SCSU.  Husband and wife.  He passed away several years ago. Pretty much started the GIS Program and Lab up from nothing.  And your also in Minnesota so I was wondering. 

0 Kudos
CaseyStilton
New Contributor

What do you think about massage chairs for the office? Probably something like those in the list? 

0 Kudos