Re: Learn ArcGIS: How to ask your questions on GeoNet

10-11-2021 06:04 AM
SUMANTAMONDAL
New Contributor

I have extracted built-up area from the classified imageries and now I want to divide it into zone wise i.e, northeast, southeast, southwest, and north-west. So that I can calculate the built-up area for each zone. How to do it in ArcGIS? Please suggest to me some suitable procedures. Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Perhaps you can start with Create Fishnet tool to create a 2 by 2 grid zone using your built-up area data as the template extent.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/create-fishnet.htm

Depending on how you want to extract the built-up areas in the four grid zones, a number of tools can be helpful, including Split, Intersect or Spatial Join. Here is what Split does:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/split.htm

DanLee_0-1634054066298.png

SUMANTAMONDAL
New Contributor

Hi, DanLee thank you for your valuable reply. I am attaching a screenshot of the built-up area divided into zones and please tell me can I achieve it through the procedures suggested by you.Thanks 1-s2.0-S1110982321000168-gr4.jpg

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Now I understand that you need those 8 zones. I am not aware of any tool that generates such areas or the dividing lines.

Do the 8 dividing lines in your screenshot exist as line features (data)?

If they are line features, then you can run Feature To Polygon tool using the lines and the urban area boundary as inputs. You should get 8 polygons, which can be used to Split your built-up features.

If they are just drawings, then it might be quicker to create line features manually if you only need to do this once. With the created line features, then do what I described above.

0 Kudos
SUMANTAMONDAL
New Contributor

Hi, DanLee once again thank you for your valuable suggestion. I don't know if they are just drawings as it was created to calculate built up areas for each zone. I am sharing another screenshot and plz tell me if it can be created like the procedures suggested by you.Screenshot (146).png

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the new screenshot. It seems just a different way of dividing the area. Again, in order to Split your urban areas by those dividing lines, they need to be line features, either created manually or if you can write a script using the center point as a starting point with the angle and length to generate each line.  I am not sure how the center points are determined though. They don't seem to be the centroids of the urban boundary polygons.

Edited:

There is also the Bearing Distance To Line tool which requires input with needed fields to generate lines.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/bearing-distance-to-line.htm

If you can create a table with start_x, start_y, angle, distance fields and the desired values, you can use this tool to generate lines.  However, the resulting lines are geodesic lines, not planar. It probably doesn't matter since you are working at a local area; the geodesic lines are very close to planar lines.  In the upcoming release of ArcGIS Pro, there will be a Planar option on this tool.  🙂

0 Kudos