Raster to Geodatabase is slow

03-17-2022 01:30 PM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using the Raster to Geodatabase tool in 2.9.1 and I believe it's pretty slow for the raster it's processing. It just sits at 0% saying "Converting <raster name>" forever. I left it overnight and no movement. When I open the Diagnostic Monitor, Geoprocessing and Background Geoprocessing are lit up green and I see things moving in the Logs tab so I know it's doing something...just not effectively. 

The format of the raster I'm trying to move is a file geodatabase raster. It's uncompressed size is listed as 741 mb, so under a gig. I'm trying to move it from an FGDB to an enterprise geodatabase, so maybe internet speed is a factor? Pro is installed on my local computer, but I have to work over a VPN to access my enterprise data so that's certainly not helping anything. Is there a better way to move rasters from one geodatabase to another? Export Raster gives me the same results, slow.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Coping data over a VPN usually add lots of extra time, in my experience. Can you use a client that is closer to the data sources, i.e. in the same office location?

What type of rasters are these? Is there a reason that you are storing them in the Enterprise Geodatabase?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Well that sucks. I can't use any client closer to the source. The rasters are aerial imagery if that's what you mean by type. I need to be able to cache and publish them as a map service to use them as a basemap in Collector. We have an unfederated server with no copying of data upon publishing allowed, so they need to be registered in some way. Seems like putting them in the EGDB would be the way to go, but I honestly never really work with raster data so maybe not. Open to suggestions of course. Would dumping them in a folder registered with the server be more appropriate?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am not sure having it in an Enterprise Geodatabase would be ideal either. Here is some information and workflows for Service Cached Imagery: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/imagery/workflows/resources/serving-cached-imagery.htm

If you have Image Server available, I would look at Mosaic Datasets; https://doc.arcgis.com/en/imagery/workflows/resources/using-mosaic-datasets-to-manage-imagery.htm

--- George T.
0 Kudos