Raster statistics

09-28-2021 06:25 AM
Labels (2)
RyanDavidson1
New Contributor III

Hi

I've recently discovered that i can use LAS files from my drone mapping software in ArcGIS Pro. I have been using the LAS point statistics as raster tool from Data management tools to convert the LAS to a raster which further through the process allows me to extract point data using select by attributes and then export. It seems that the layer that is created with the LAS point statistics tool somehow calculates/creates some sort of ground level being 0 and then gives me values for everything above that which is great cause the LAS height values were between 15 and 25 metres when they come out of the mapping software, not so easy for me to use. Allows me to quickly calculate tree heights for example,

So I would like to be able to achieve the same result when adding a dsm raster to a project but i cant seem to find the right tool that gives a similar result to the LAS point statistics tool regarding the 0 height value and everything above that.

Does anyone know if there is a tool for this?

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ryan, 

A DSM file, measure the ground level if you can get a DEM model that will be easier. Here is some more information DEM, DSM & DTM Differences - A Look at Elevation Models in GIS - GIS Geography

that being said you can convert the data to raster, as you do with the LiDAR data, using this tool DEM to Raster (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and repeat the steps you did with the LiDAt Converted data.

let me know how that goes,

0 Kudos
RyanDavidson1
New Contributor III

Thanks Keiren, i'll look into that solution.

0 Kudos
RyanDavidson1
New Contributor III

Hi Keiren

It seems as thought the DEM to raster tool is deprecated and i can't see it in the conversion toolbox. In the link you posted it says to use the copy raster tool instead which i tried but still ended up with height values between 42 and 53 metres instead of 0-11 which is what i was hoping for.  The file i'm trying to convert is a 32 bit floating point raster geotiff produced by DJI Terra software. The copy raster does convert the floating point to integer but then i have values in the millions 2851569152-3643399680.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

This Esri video is a complete workflow for creating a tree height (or any above ground object height) from LAS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4tVXARSrUo

0 Kudos
RyanDavidson1
New Contributor III

Thanks!

But that's really not the challenge here, what i need to do is is imitate what the LAS point statistics to raster tool does in regards to it resetting the ground height to a file that is already a raster, a dsm that is 32bit floating point geotiff.

When i add the dsm to a map or scene the height values show for example between 15-25 metres, but i'd like it to show 0-10. I may be wrong but it seems like the LAS point statistics to raster tool does this.

0 Kudos