Raster Labels: How to avoid scientific notification?

08-15-2022 04:39 AM
Labels (1)
ClaudiaFries
New Contributor III

Dear Community,

I would like to use a simple raster (1-band) with depth values for the seafloor. Depth range is + 3.5 to - 33.1, so very common numbers. If I drag and drop it into QGIS, in the table of content, the labels for values are shown as 'normal' numbers. If I drag an drop into ArcGIS Pro, the values seem to be shown with scientific notification ("3.40282e+38" for upper and lower value (?!?)). How can this be avoided?

After choosing 'stretched symbology' and 'calculating statistics' the numbers are shown as in QGIS, but only after removing the TIF and loading it a second time. This can't be the normal way, can it?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

BR, Claudia

ClaudiaFries_0-1660562647250.png

ClaudiaFries_1-1660563285357.png

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

This might work; I am using AGP 3.

Set focus to the raster in the Contents pane --> click the Raster Layer tab --> click Symbology --> click Advanced symbology options in the Symbology pane --> adjust the Category under Format labels (try Numeric).

0 Kudos
ClaudiaFries
New Contributor III

Thanks Barry! I already tried this, however using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3.
Setting the 'Format labels' to numeric (or other options) does not show the desired effect.

ClaudiaFries_0-1660579791217.png

In general, the upper and lower values given in the Contents pane seem to be pretty rubbish. As I said, the values actually lie between + 3.5 to - 33.1...

QGIS recognises the min and max values immediately.

ArcMap can't do that, but at least adjusts the values immediately in the table of content after I set the symbology to "Stretch" and run "Calculates Statistics". 

And ArcGIS Pro only implements it when I load the file a second time (just drag and drop, after the .aux.xml file has been created) - then, however, it is immediately displayed correctly.

Best regards,

Claudia

0 Kudos