"Vary Symbol By Attribute" is not grabbing all values?

07-23-2021 10:57 AM
GB_MattPanunto_GISS
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to vary the transparency of a layer by an attribute field. The values in my field range from 5-179 (the values represent the age of a data point, in hours). However, when I specify the field, it only seems to detect values between 140-178.

The field type was originally a Double, but I have since converted the values to Short in order to simplify them. That didn't seem to make a difference. Is there some kind of limitation at play here that I'm not aware of? I am running ArcGIS Pro v2.7.3.

GB_MattPanunto_GISS_0-1627062680941.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I can't reproduce it in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1.

Please ensure there is no unsaved edits.

What happens when you click "Refresh Values"?

Think Location
0 Kudos
GB_MattPanunto_GISS

Hmm, I just found a computer with v2.8.1 and gave it a shot, but had the same issue. I've attached the dataset here if you want try taking a look. To clarify, I'm trying to vary the transparency by the AGE_HOURS field. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looks like it has a limitation of upto 10,000 records. So, it took the values of first 10,000 records sorted by ObjectID. I couldn't find any documentation on this limitation.

@KoryKramer : Is this a known limitation, or a bug?

For a test, I dissolved the Feature Class based on "ACQ_DATE" and "ACQ_TIME", assuming the "AGE_HOURS" and "AGE_DAYS" are same for this combination (*but you will lose other attributes which differ within this combination, e.g. "BRIGHT_TI4", "FRP", etc.). The result is only 319 multipoint features.

JayantaPoddar_0-1627069711406.png

Then, values for varying the symbology looks fine.

JayantaPoddar_2-1627070016896.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
GB_MattPanunto_GISS

Wow, good sleuthing! It's interesting that the ESRI Livefeeds feature layer of the same data (even larger, actually) does not seem to have this limitation. As a Living Atlas product, maybe it has some additional data privileges? 

Satellite (VIIRS) Thermal Hotspots and Fire Activity - Overview (arcgis.com)

0 Kudos