"Opening the Selected ArcGIS project failed: This project was saved using a newer version of ArcGIS Pro"

05-02-2018 07:40 AM
VeronicaMcCall
New Contributor II

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error when trying to open current projects that previously crashed? They seemed to crash due to geoprocessing or saving the project. 

75 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

From what I just said to Janaki above:

When a project gets to this state, so far, there is not a way to recover it, unfortunately. To understand the cause, here are the types of things we'd like to know:

1. Exact steps carried on the system or in ArcGIS Pro before the project starts to throws this error.
  2. If ArcGIS Pro crashed while attempting to save just before the issue started, we want to collect the associated error report found in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports.
  3. Finally, we also want to look for similarities in environment  - ex. Antivirus software installed, Windows updates applied recently, etc.

If this information wasn't provided in the case, feel free to contact Esri Technical Support at 888-377-4575, as we would like to have it.

Thanks!

Scott

Suzanne
New Contributor III

Yes, I read what you stated to Janaki. I just thought since my case was closed a while back and that the error is still occurring, that perhaps there were notes in my case or information that I already had provided that might help you with the problem. My mistake--Suzanne

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Suzanne,

Yeah that makes sense... I looked through the case, but didn't see where the above information was captured. I bet you may not remember all of the things we are asking for now, but do you know what antivirus software you had (or still have) installed when the issue occurred?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Suzanne
New Contributor III

Sure Scott,

For the steps it is pretty easy.  1. I had just opened up the software and was opening the project "open a recent project".  I had saved and closed the software the day before and was staring the software the next day. Nothing came up other than the screen shot of whatever I sent ESRI support.

2. It didn't crash--just wouldn't open that particular project.  Older projects opened.

3. Kaspersky

Could possibly have been something in a windows update. I run Windows 10 Pro on a 64-bit operating system.

Suzanne

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Suzanne... this Geonet post is part of our investigation, so hopefully by collecting this information we can establish the pattern that causes it.

-Scott

0 Kudos
JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I just had this happen to me with 2.3. I was using 2.3 the whole time, and that is the most updated Pro version. Very sad. I think Pro might have crashed while running the mosaic rasters function.

Has anybody found a workaround to at least rescuing the layouts in the file? This was a complicated layout I lost, and I am really hoping to save at least some of it! 

Thanks for the help,

Jessie

JevaughnHenry
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue. My project was saved in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1 and is now failing to open. 

0 Kudos
RobWard1
New Contributor II

Scott Harris I've also just experienced this issue in ArcGIS Pro v.2.2.4. I had just added a .lyr file and was repairing the data sources for the associated layers when it crashed. The project file size now shows as 0 Kb and I cannot open it from Windows Explorer or from ArcGIS Pro itself. No recent error reports show in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports. The antivirus being used is ESET Endpoint Antivirus. The most recent Windows update was on 01/03/2019, which was the one detailed here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4023057/update-to-windows-10-versions-1507-1511-1607-1703-1...
Any updates on how to recover my work?

Thanks,

Rob

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry for the delay - I think it would be best if you can submit a case with Esri Technical Support - Esri Support Contact Support . They would probably like copy of the layer file to test with.

I'm not aware of a way to recover affected projects.

-Scott

0 Kudos
RobWard1
New Contributor II

Thanks Scott I have been in touch and provided them with the affected file.

Rob