"Opening the Selected ArcGIS project failed: This project was saved using a newer version of ArcGIS Pro"

05-02-2018 07:40 AM
VeronicaMcCall
New Contributor II

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error when trying to open current projects that previously crashed? They seemed to crash due to geoprocessing or saving the project. 

75 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using to open the projects?

Based on the error message it appears that the project was saved in a newer version, i.e. 2.1.2 and you are using an older version, i.e. 1.4.

Any more detail that you can provide on the project? When was the last time that you were able to open it with out an issue?

--- George T.
VeronicaMcCall
New Contributor II

I have version 2.1.2

The projects that won't open (two of them now) were created using this version and I've never had another version installed on this computer. This is why I"m confused by the error message.

I've successfully opened, saved and closed the projects several times. However, prior to receiving this error message each project crashed during the exporting of data to a feature class. Both of these instances occurred in the last two days. I can still access layers from their respective geodatabases, however. 

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

My suggestion would be to contact Esri Technical Support on this issue. It may be something that needs to be looked at in a lot more detail.

--- George T.
VeronicaMcCall
New Contributor II

That's what I was thinking. I can't find the error referenced anywhere else. Thanks for your consideration!

JanakiGattu1
New Contributor III

Hello George,

Can we get an update on the below error. As we too are getting the same Error.

I have created all my Projects in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1....And still I am using the same Version of ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1...But I am having issue in Opening up the ArcGIS Pro Project as "Opening the Selected ArcGIS Project Failed. This Project was saved using a newer Version of ArcGIS".

Note:

We have not updated any new Version of ArcGIS Pro.

Really appreciate if anyone can Provide with a Solution.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you go into more detail about the feature classes that you were exporting when ArcPro crashed (e.g. file gdb, sde gdb - SQL Server, Oracle, other and the number of records in these feature classes)?

GeraldineEggermont2
New Contributor

Hi Veronica, was your issue solved by Esri Support? I have the exact same problem.

StephenCauller
New Contributor

I am seeing the exact same error with ArcGIS Pro version 2.1.2. I didn't have a crash either. But my project file will not open. I hope there is a known fix because I am going to lose work otherwise.

Suzanne
New Contributor III

I also have this problem that just started today and I have not changed versions. I have had numerous crashes on the project (when i could still open it) while simply editing the attribute table.