"Map does not have layers" when it clearly does

03-02-2021 12:08 PM
Labels (2)
MitchellMcFarland
New Contributor

Attempting to package a project in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1 and getting the 00001 Error: "Map does not have layers"

As the screenshot displays, I only have the one map in my catalog which obviously contains layers. 

Anywhere else I should be looking for a hidden empty map?

MitchellMcFarland_0-1614715376010.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MitchellMcFarland
New Contributor

Since we so often have to solve our own problems in this "community", here's the solution I used for others with the same issue. 

Right-click the error code:

MitchellMcFarland_0-1614719475435.png

Click "select map in the contents pane"

Add a simple basemap to the "Map" to resolve the empty layer issue

MitchellMcFarland_1-1614719694941.png

Unsure where the "Map" is sourced from in my Catalog, so I'm not able to delete it from the project. 

ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Mitchell, did you ever find a real solution to this?

Same situation here, except the analyzer reported 3 maps without layer, along with another similar error.  As you can see, the maps are actually shapefiles.  They are not in my catalog, anywhere.  Classic ESRI stuff I grumble about and then feel guilty that I grumbled about later.  A waste of time.  If  you found any other options to pinpoint and fix problem, let me know.

-Zach

ppkg_error.JPG

0 Kudos
ErikRieger
New Contributor II

This worked for me to fix the "artifact" maps when packaging a project . But common ESRI...fix this BS. Mine were result of having imported some .kmz files. 

TychoGranville
Occasional Contributor II

Got the error with one FC on the map, adding a basemap, didn't help. Didn't save, restarted Pro setting up the exact same paths/features/etc, (didn't add a basemap since that was just a troubleshooting step) in the Project, shared... no errors. <bangs head on wall>

0 Kudos
GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

Another thing to look out for - I have a map and a layout in my project template.  In the layout there was a map without layers.  I hadn't realized that and was only looking at the map.  Drove me crazy! 

0 Kudos