"Make a geoprocessing model" tutorial trouble

06-13-2018 05:47 AM
RobertHall1
New Contributor II

I'm working my way through all of the ArcGIS Pro tutorials and I'm up to the "Make a geoprocessing model" tutorial but I've run into a bit of an issue. The tutorial tells me to change the scratch workspace location to Model_output.gdb, which I've done. However, when i then run the Summarise Invasive Species tool, it saves to the current workspace gdb rather than the scratch workspace gdb. I'm following the tutorial to the letter so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RobertHall1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your testing! The Make_a_model thing is a bit of a red herring. It had the correct filepath but still wasn't working previously, but yesterday during my fiddling i deleted the White_Edged_Nightshade_range feature class rather than the Nightshade_Near_Campsites output. To get it back again, i had to rename the entire package so that I could open the package afresh and copy the missing feature class back into my broken package. I took the screenshot of the pathway after doing all that, but it was no different before my error.  I'll get it all correctly named and test it again but I'm  sure i was saving it and reopening the tool after changing the scratch workspace.

One bit I'm not sure on actually are steps 17 and 18 which say:

Next to the Scratch Workspace setting, click the Browse button Browse and browse to Project >Databases.

In the Scratch Workspace dialog box, in the directory, under Project, click Folders if necessary.

I don't see the point in performing both of those steps as there's a model_output.gdb in both places, so I'm not sure which one i'm supposed to be selected, or if they are the same thing and therefore it doesn't matter. If i'm supposed to select the one in folders, then why bother sending me to project>databases in step 17, and if it wants me to go to project>databses then why send me to project>folders in step 18?

edit: I don't know if this is anything, but I was playing inside the model builder and noticed some possibly odd behaviour. If i try to select a location for the Output Grouped Table output, it will let me select the Make_a_geoprocessing_model.gdb database, but gives an error if i try to select the Model_output.gdb. 

edit 2: ignore those pics, I've worked out that error. I was simply selecting the database and it was then trying to create the output file with the same name. If i double click the database and then enter the name i want then it saves to the correct location. However, that still doesn't fix my issue with the scratch workspace, but at least i can get outputs where they are supposed to go, even if it's a couple of extra steps.

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

You're right about the redundancy of steps 17, 18. One of those two steps should come out. (It doesn't matter if you select Model_output.gdb from Folders or from Databases--they're pointing at the same item.) I'll submit a doc bug, but it's likely too late to get fixed in the upcoming release.

Note: I see that this problem has already been identified and fixed in the prerelease doc. It will appear in the next software/doc release.

Confirming your edit 2 on the output grouped table name... you have to specify a file name for the table, not the geodatabase name.

I've worked through the tutorial a couple of times since your original post and haven't been able to repro your results except when I fail to save the model properties (step 21) after setting the scratch workspace. If you try it again and still get the same result, please message me and we'll try to get the gp team to look at it.

RobertHall1
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help. I'll try and find time this week to start a new attempt from scratch, see if it happens again.

0 Kudos