"Invalid input data" when using "Create 3D Object Scene Layer" to save to .slpk

Jump to solution
12-02-2020 09:06 AM
Labels (1)
adsilcott
New Contributor

This dataset displays fine in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0, but when I try to use Create 3D Object Scene Layer to save it to a .slpk, there's a red X next to the Input Dataset field. Hovering over that pops up:

Input Dataset (Required)

ERROR 000152 Invalid input data

The input multipatch feature layer.

Any idea what might be causing this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

You should only see that error if you are inputting an unsupported data type. For example, if you try to input a feature class instead of the feature layer you will see that error. Just to confirm, you selected the layer from the dropdown in the tool? Also, this is not a polygon feature layer that was extruded but it is a multipatch?

thanks,

Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I've not been using ArcGIS Pro long but have already learned that what appears in the drop-down parameters may not always be the case in the Environments. So check those settings to make sure the right layers and workspace are set as you intend.  That quickly solved a couple of my errors today. 

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
0 Kudos
adsilcott
New Contributor

Thanks for the answer, I hadn't checked that, and it's good to know for the future. However the Create 3D Object Scene Layer tool doesn't use any geoprocessing environments, so the issue remains.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

You should only see that error if you are inputting an unsupported data type. For example, if you try to input a feature class instead of the feature layer you will see that error. Just to confirm, you selected the layer from the dropdown in the tool? Also, this is not a polygon feature layer that was extruded but it is a multipatch?

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
adsilcott
New Contributor

That seems to have solved the problem. I don't have a dropdown to select layers, just a field that lets me browse for a file. I was selecting the database file, which is a valid type, but I needed to save the layer to a file and select that. 

Now I have a separate issue that the resulting export is corrupted, but I guess I should make a separate post for that. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

If you don't see it in the dropdown then you would need to add it to the scene. A "layer" input would accept the layer in the scene or the layer file. I know this can seem like a minor distinction but it is good to know the difference between a 'feature class' and 'feature layer'. Here's a good help topic that describes layers https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/layer-properties/layers.htm

Also, for GP tools in the data type section you will see whether the tool accepts just a feature layer or both a feature class and feature layer. 

thanks,

Andrew

jiaqili1
New Contributor II

Sorry, I have the same issue.  ERROR 000152 Invalid input data.

I can't understand how to convert the feature class to feature layer.

As a result, my input dataset is error. The data type is Shapefile Feature Class. I don't know why this will led to error! 

Please help! thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

You can create a feature layer by adding it to a scene. See this help topic that describes this workflow https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/add-layers-to-a-map.htm 

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos