"Calculate Adjacent Fields" in ArcGIS PRO?

11-03-2018 07:23 PM
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, novice user here.  Trying to create Fire Service Maps from the canned package.

After about 3 days of staring at it, I *finally* had a mini-epiphany.  Was struggling trying to figure out what the proper input source for "FireMapIndex" was supposed to be.  And VIOLA- I realized that the index grid was a common schema created via "Grid Index Features" followed by "Calculate Adjacent Fields".  Well, the first thing looks GREAT in ArcGIS pro- however, it seems like "Calculate Adjacent Fields" has been deprecated.  Has anyone found a simple workaround?  I see a bunch of hits around defining a "layout" but nothing there seems to match.  So close, but yet so far!

As an aside, I did drop back to ArcMap and created a shapefile using both tools.  Looks good inside ArcMap.  When I try to import that into my project in ArcGIS,  the grid orientation is slightly skewed.  And I can't figure out why.  All my projections seems to match, although it's almost certainly the source of the problem.  But rather than try to troubleshoot that first, I think forging forward and figurong out the ArcGIS PRO way to do this would be best.

Thanks!  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

For the part about Calculate Adjacent Fields being "deprecated," its just that it hasn't made it into ArcGIS Pro yet.  The good news is that it will be in the 2.3 release coming in early 2019:

For the part about the grid being "skewed" can you provide some more details about what that means and screenshots to see if that helps anyone on the forum work on it?

Cheers,

Kory

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Great thanks Kory!  Good to know.  I saw a list that I thought was stuff that was *not* being ported- I didn't  perceive a not YET thing, but I'm suffering from information overload right now  .  My browser tab bar looks like a picket fence!  

I think I've worked around the "skewed" thing.  The symptom was when I opened the grid created in ArcMap in ArcGIS, the Y lines were pointed about 5 degrees west of north.  The way I "solved" it was to pare down my source in ArcMap to just a single layer which had a "good" projection (NAD 1983) and create the grid on top of that single feature.  I imported that into my ArcGIS PRO project and everything looked good.  I would think that I ran into what I imagine is an extremely common problem in the GIS business- layering data from many sources induced projection mismatches.  And my lack of experience made it difficult for me to recognize and remedy.  But I think I'm learning!

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

I haven't yet determined if this is an artifact from a previous attempt or if I really haven't solved the issue (I'm trying to figure out where the tasks for Fire Service Maps is putting stuff) but here is what was/is happening....

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45494986_10204864096118058_2603808912289300480_n.jpg?_... 

0 Kudos
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Nope, definitely a re-occurrence.  Looks like it was OK in the test project I built in ArcGIS PRO, but the Fire Service Maps package (which is a project all its own, separate from my "test" project)  re-injects the skew- gotta figure out which projections to use to match the target package...

0 Kudos
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

OK, this turned out to be a rather simple one.  I just had to change the coordinate system of the "map"  (top element above all the layers, if anyone else is like me and doesn't know this seemingly ambiguous term) to that of all the layers.  Right-click, properties, Coordinate System.  VIOLA!!  

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does your fire company handle the King of Prussia mall?

0 Kudos
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

No, that's a few townships over (Upper Merion).  They are transitioning from an all-volunteer format to daytime paid crews.  Same stations and apparatus, but different station # and apparatus designations during the day.  Wild!  

0 Kudos