"Automatically save edits" is disabled, but so are the 'Save' and 'Discard' button. And my edits are being saved

05-01-2017 09:46 AM
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

Am I missing something? I personally don't like the idea of edits being saved without me deliberately saving or discarding them.  What if I accidentally select 1000 features and hit the delete key when I only intend to delete one feature?  As you can see below, I've unchecked "Automatically save edits", but the 'Save' and 'Discard' buttons are disabled, so I can't use them.  If I close Pro and reopen it, my edits have persisted even though I never clicked save.  As you can see, I've also checked "Show dialog to confirm save/discard edits".  In this particular case, I was editing points features in an unversioned feature class stored in a SQL Express "Personal SDE" database. 

It's been a while and I can't remember what these settings were 'out of the box'.  I think that "automatically save edits" and "Make newly added layers editable by default" so both be disabled when someone starts using pro for the first time.  I believe the latter is enabled by default. If so, that is very dangerous. I think every edit session should be very deliberate, especially when editing 'enterprise' data.  

25 Replies
BrianBulla1
Occasional Contributor

Yes, but I am using versioned data and I do not have the option to "Save".  Previous to 2.4.2 I have always been able to "Save" my edits, or not "Save" them and start over again.

Unless I am reading what Kory is saying incorrectly.....

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock2
Occasional Contributor II

Wow!  Have you called tech support on that?

0 Kudos
BrianBulla1
Occasional Contributor

No, not yet.  Another thing I am noticing is that my edits cannot even be undone.  They are not showing up on the 'Undo Stack'. 

0 Kudos
BrianBulla1
Occasional Contributor

OK, so it turns out that the layers in our SDE that I was editing were not actually versioned (although I thought they were).  So nothing to do with the latest 2.4.2 release.

Sorry for the confusion.

StefanieWenker
Occasional Contributor

I just upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and this is still an issue...

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Agree, this is something that needs to be fixed. I'm not a software engineer by any stretch but...why? Why is it difficult to have this behavior in Pro when it was standard in ArcMap?