"ArcGIS Pro has encountered as serious application error and is unable to continue."

04-19-2017 01:30 PM
GusHernandez
New Contributor

Hello,

I know topic has been posted fairly often, however, I am wondering if there are any troubleshooting steps for the newest version of ArcGIS Pro 1.4 to mitigate the above error. My .NET framework and (confirmed to be compatible) video card driver are both up to date.

Some background: I was using ArcGIS Pro for a couple of days with no problem. Then yesterday, it randomly crashed, and now upon opening the application I immediately receive the error reporting screen. Since then, I have been in contact with ESRI technical support, and have yet to resolve the issue. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of the Arc products on the computer, and still have not had success. ArcMap, Catalog, etc. were all running fine and continued to open.

I also had Drone2Map processing in the background when this happened, however, which also crashed. In terms of that software, I am able to access the project selection screen, but when i try to open my existing project, it would just close. That is probably an issue for another thread, but I figured I'd include it in case it was relevant to this issue.

Please help!

17 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have been encountering this error this week with Pro 2.0.1, usually with older laptops, but it came up with a desktop as well.  Pro seems to be fine starting up until it gets to the Initializing... step and then I get the dreaded dialog (click image to zoom). A couple of students have reported it working at first and then later this issue comes up.Pro crash on startup

I suspect Pro is not playing well with older display hardware, I have not seen this problem on newer machines. I have an Esri support incident open on this one, but they didn't seem to have a lot of good advice for me beyond the following two KB articles which are not helping me. In the meantime I am avoiding our (older) student laptops (most i5x1x2/2.0 GHz/8GB RAM) and encouraging them to run Pro on more current desktops (i7-2x4,3GHz,12G RAM) in our labs, where I have not seen the problem.

Problem: ArcGIS Pro fails to start with a serious application error (000015754)

Problem: ArcGIS Pro hangs after login (000013863)

These KB articles suggest resets along the line of Resetting your ArcGIS application profile with few more locations involved: %APPDATA%, %LOCALAPPDATA%, and C:\ProgamData\Flexnet. (These resets did not help me, but it's good to know how to 'ground-zero' these settings.)

1. Deleting the user.config folder here:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISPro.exe_Url_usrdyax2a4fbxzcclmgcafuxifk3o351\2.0.1.0\

2. Renaming the Esri Local folder here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ 

3. Renaming the Esri Roaming folders: 

1. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI, and

2. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI
4. Deleting the following registry keys:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Online for Pro

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGISPro

3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Online

4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGISPro1.0

5. Renaming the FlexNet folder here: C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I found an error message in Windows Event Viewer

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 1/15/2018 3:33:27 PM
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: <redacted>.local
Description:
Application: ArcGISPro.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileFormatException
at MS.Internal.FontFace.CompositeFontParser.Fail(System.String, System.Exception)
at MS.Internal.FontFace.CompositeFontParser.ParseFontFamilyCollectionElement()
at MS.Internal.FontFace.CompositeFontParser..ctor(System.IO.Stream)
Exception Info: System.IO.FileFormatException
at MS.Internal.FontFace.CompositeFontParser.Fail(System.String, System.Exception)
at MS.Internal.FontFace.CompositeFontParser..ctor(System.IO.Stream)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
(...)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Searching using the above error message found the problem - some software related to .NET 4.7.1 (which had been auto-installed by Windows Update). This looks like an issue that could affect many WPF apps, not just Pro.

.NET Framework January 2018 Rollup Known Issue KB4074906 - "TypeInitializationException" or "FileFor...

An issue has been found in the .NET Framework January 2018 Security and Quality Rollup. The .NET team is in the process of fixing the issue. This document describes the symptom and workarounds to resolve the issue while you are waiting for a fix.

They provided three workarounds at the above link. I went for the one that seemed less painful (and dangerous).

1. Downloaded .NET 4.7 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55170
2. Uninstalled .NET 4.7.1 from add/remove programs
3. Installed .NET 4.7 from the download
4. Pro started up okay

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Check your ability to run Pro

ArcGIS Pro System Requirements

Particularly the link that runs a test ..... 

Supported operating systems

Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.0.     <======== run this link on that page

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That's neat. I passed the test.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Checking if it's a recent Microsoft patch issue.

Check if any Microsoft Rollup patch got installed recently? In case it did, kindly uninstall the same (one at a time) and try working with ArcGIS Pro.

Meltdown and Spectre Processor Vulnerabilities | ArcGIS Blog 

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The last patch didn't cause problems for all installations... not all are impacted

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The problem just appeared on my office desktop today. Pro was running fine for a year. Given the timing of this thing, I am wondering if it is related to flurry (or is it slurry) of recent Windows patches?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

still good here... perhaps it is too cold here

Ooops  forgot... I am on 2.1 Beta, maybe that is the difference

0 Kudos