Question of how to download Arcgis Pro onto Chromebook OS

01-19-2021 01:04 PM
ScottDaugherty
New Contributor

Sorry to bother everyone, Does anyone know how to install Arcgis Pro (2.7 system) onto (2019) Chromebook OS?  I am a new student and having trouble.  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.7 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

lists the requirements.  Click on the link on that page.

Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.7 .

I suspect you won't have any luck.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

It is Windows software. You would probably need to root or dual boot Chrome to run Linux and then install a Windows virtualization. That said, the OS is probably the least of your worries. ArcGIS Pro requires pretty robust hardware specs, and most (though not all) Chromebooks are pretty lightweight in terms of hardware. 

0 Kudos
Etraveler
New Contributor II

So I have the Samsung - Galaxy Book Pro 360 15.6" AMOLED Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Evo Platform Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 1TB SSD. 

Any chance that will work?

0 Kudos
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

Probably, I would check here: 
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm

It also depends on what you're doing. For example, data processing is very CPU and memory intensive, whereas things like 3D will test your graphics card. 

Personally, I don't totally hate Windows, but it's not my favorite. But if I'm buying a computer to run ArcGIS, I get Windows. In the past, I dual booted to get Ubuntu but I ultimately found maintaining dual environments is more of a headache than dealing with my distaste for Windows. In the case of a Chromebook, if it doesn't already have a Linux option, you're going to have to figure that out, and then install a Windows virtualization on top of that. That sounds complicated, fragile, and slow as an IT solution, but if you're really married to this Chromebook, go for it. 

0 Kudos
KennyEwa
New Contributor

please how did you dual boot your chrome

0 Kudos