Publishing from Pro - "Federated Server Not Available"

02-21-2020 12:17 PM
MichaelKnapp
Occasional Contributor

Hi there - 

We've typically created services from MXDs, but are testing publishing to our Enterprise Server from a Pro document. 

We have the data source registered in the data store, and the active portal in Pro is our enterprise portal logged in with an account that we've used to publish services from MXDs. 

When I go to "Publish Web Layer", we get the "Federated Server Not Available" warning. I did confirm that our federation is correct and functional. 

Any ideas as to what might be going on here? 

Using Pro 2.4.2

I'm not finding much online about this, which makes me think I must be missing something simple. 

Thanks!

17 Replies
AndersBerg
New Contributor II

Ok, thank you for that verification. In all the material I have come across today, it  states that I need a data store in order to set my federated server as the hosting server. I just wanted to be sure. 

If I set it to  "Copy all Data", unfortunately the outcome is the same.  

MichaelKnapp
Occasional Contributor

If you have access to Esri support, it might be worth giving them a call.... it took esri a little while to navigate all the back-end settings and identify what was causing the issue. Sorry I can't offer more detail than that right now. 

0 Kudos
AndersBerg
New Contributor II

Yup, this was the solution. Configured a data store for our portal and now can publish from pro as expected. 

0 Kudos
MichaelKnapp
Occasional Contributor

I see that i never properly closed this question out.... with some help from esri support, we realized that our inability to publish directly from Pro has to do with how we configured our Enterprise Portal, and didn't have anything to do with Pro. 

I'd offer more details, but those are in notes at the office, and I've been remote for the past 3 months!

0 Kudos
AndersBerg
New Contributor II

Michael,

Thanks for the reply! That seems to be our issue as well. Need to have a data store configured with a federated server  and set as the hosting server, in order to publish from pro. Still able to publish from ArcMap without a data store, but .. I am trying to take advantage on some of the settings in pro, so alas, went down this rabbit hole. 

0 Kudos
AdrianAkbariNet4s
New Contributor II

Ok I realized that it has to do with the trusted servers in my case. In your portal security setting, you should add your adrcgis servers as trusted servers. this solved the problem for me. 

0 Kudos
Ann-MarieFalkowski1
New Contributor III

A user just got this error in ArcGIS Pro  trying to publish to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1. The issue was permissions- they did not have the Publisher role in Portal. Once I changed the user's role, the error message went away. 

-Ann-Marie
0 Kudos
AbeCoughlin
Occasional Contributor III

Just an FYI..., if you don't have your ports configured, you get the same response. Essentially, Pro can't communicate with Server, nor Portal. 

We experienced this when implementing 10.9.1 and we had to roll the VM back to an earlier image - the ports weren't open on the firewall at that point and thus we had to add the firewall port rules again on the machine.

0 Kudos