Projection for Terrain Slope Degrees Image Server Layer

12-28-2020 02:08 PM
AlexandraThompson90
New Contributor II

I want to use the "Terrain: Slope in Degrees" Image Service to Extract Values to Points for 4,000 locally-stored points across the continental US. Specifically, the points are in Kansas, Texas (& surrounding states), North Dakota, and Pennsylvania.

Here's the Image Server site: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=af25a795273440deb449b336543602be

The site presents this warning:

WARNING: Slope is computed in the projection specified by the client software. The server resamples the elevation data to the requested projection and pixel size and then computes slope. Slope should be requested in a projection that maintains correct scale in x and y directions for the area of interest. Using geographic coordinates will give incorrect results. For the WGS84 Mercator and WGS Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) projections used by many web applications, a correction factor has been included to correct for latitude-dependent scale changes.

I'm unclear on what an appropriate projection would be to "maintain correct scale in x and y directions" and whether this means to choose equidistant, equal area, etc. Would North America Equidistant Conic work?

edit:

I've tried "requesting" the image service in North America Equidistant Conic, and the results look the same as if I don't project it. In addition, requesting the layer in various cell sizes appears to make no difference on the resulting image service layer.

I don't need slope degrees; slope percent would be fine. Just want to heed the "warning" given.

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How Slope works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

There isn't a geodesic method online, if your coordinates are in decimal degrees?

... sort of retired...
AlexandraThompson90
New Contributor II

I'm not sure what you mean by "online." I'm working in Pro (specifically, everything's in python). Are you suggesting I create a new slope raster in AGO?

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You mentioned "image service"... I guessed you weren't working with locally stored data and/or trying to calculate slope on non-locally stored data.

If the data are local, the link may be appropriate then

... sort of retired...
AlexandraThompson90
New Contributor II

Oh I see. The image service is the "Terrain: Slope in Degrees" which I linked to. The points are locally stored and in geographic coordinates. The points are also proprietary and under contract agreements can't be uploaded to AGO.