03-24-2023 03:40 AM
Nuria
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I created a conda environment for arcpy using the following commands:

>conda create --name arcgis python=3.9

>conda install -c esri arcpy arcgis

The conda installation when well, as far as I can tell. Then I followed the steps outlined in blog https://www.programmersought.com/article/32855710236/ to get ArcGIS Pro to use the newly installed anaconda environment. ArcGIS pro found a version mismatch however, the Upgrade option does not work. In the Environment Manager window it reads Conda Version 4.9.2. The Conda version installed in my PC is 23.1.0. 

Is that difference in Conda version the reason why my Conda arcgis environment cannot be upgrade? How can I know how to find matching versions to ensure I can set up my environment without major issues?

How can I solve this issue?

Looking forward to hearing back - thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you describe what you're trying to accomplish? Pro ships with the Python API already, so unless you have reasons to need the very latest builds, you can use it from the default environment that ships with Pro. If you do need an even newer version, you can get it but don't think that post well covers the problem. By default, each release of Pro supports a specific major.minor version of the Python API, as parts of the Python distribution itself depend on the Python API and are tested at that major.minor release.

0 Kudos
Nuria
by
New Contributor II

Thank you for your comment.

I'd like to reuse a script written by a collaborator using a python editor (e.g. spyder). The code is quite extend and with a lot of indentations and I thought it would be easier to debug in a code editor. Let me know if you require further detail.

0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Got it. Pro ships with a very rudimentary IDE called IDLE, but for most users they'll want something more sophisticated.  If you have choices, I would recommend looking at Visual Studio Code, you shouldn't need to do any work with custom environments to get it to work, you can point it at the Python environment that ships with Pro (arcgispro-py3).

Spyder is a somewhat complicated case, because it also has all its dependencies managed through conda, but it can work. I would start by creating a cloned environment following these instructions:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/arcpy/get-started/clone-an-environment.htm

Once you've created that custom environment, it should be possible to install spyder, but it isn't an entirely simple process. Some have had success adding it through pip, I would look at threads like this one for further feedback if Spyder is important to your workflow.

Nuria
by
New Contributor II

Thank you Shaun, I will try these options and update the post with the outcome of it.