Problems importing a standalone table of coordinates

Jump to solution
05-17-2019 05:29 AM
LaboratorioGeomatica
New Contributor II

Hi! I've a problem importing a standalone table with coordinates x,y,z of 4 points.

To visualize the points I use Display XY Data, in the window on the right I compile the fields with the coordinates, the firts problem when I select the Coordinate System is the warning "No vertical coordinate system defined" so I define the vertical system too.

Then when I click on run, I don't see any warning, but the points are imported without the Z coordinate, and I really don't know why, and what I'm doing wrong.

I attach the table with the data, that are in Coordinates System 3003

Thank you 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I guess another question that I have here is where you're getting the data.  Because it has an ObjectID and Shape (which is already Point Z) it seems to me it was at some already a feature class (either file gdb or enterprise gdb). 

Anyway, I think the issue is that the input table already has a field called Shape.  When I remove that field from your original CSV so that your data looks like this:

I'm able to bring that in as a z-enabled (Point Z) feature class.

I've contacted the development team to make them aware of the issue where the tool doesn't handle an input table with a field named Shape.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

It looks like the original error when setting the Coordinate System in the XY Table to Point tool was because the WGS 84 datum from the default vertical coordinate system is a different datum than your XY spatial reference which is D Monte Mario.

What is the correct vertical coordinate system (i.e. you said that you set that.  What did you set it to?)?

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

If the z/vertical values are ellipsoidal, the VCS must use the same datum as the horizontal/geographic coordinate system. We don't have an ellipsoidal Monte Mario VCS. Could the z values be on Genoa? or EVRF2000 or EVRF2007?

0 Kudos
LaboratorioGeomatica
New Contributor II

I used Genoa for the z values

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I guess another question that I have here is where you're getting the data.  Because it has an ObjectID and Shape (which is already Point Z) it seems to me it was at some already a feature class (either file gdb or enterprise gdb). 

Anyway, I think the issue is that the input table already has a field called Shape.  When I remove that field from your original CSV so that your data looks like this:

I'm able to bring that in as a z-enabled (Point Z) feature class.

I've contacted the development team to make them aware of the issue where the tool doesn't handle an input table with a field named Shape.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

0 Kudos
LaboratorioGeomatica
New Contributor II

Yes, it was a shape, I needed 3 points as vertices of a triangle of a TIN surface for educational purpose.
But I didn't want to import directly the shape, but I wanted to start from the table of coordinates.

Thank you for the tip, removing the field SHAPE from the original CSV worked.

Thank you very much for your help!