Problem with Pro Reassigning

02-16-2021 08:20 AM
JimThomas
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro is automatically reassigning the data source for layers in my TOC.  As I add layers and symbolize, at some point all of the layers start drawing using the geometry of a single feature class in a geodatabase.  It's very strange.  When I right click and view the properties of the FC, I can see the source has changed.  And that source wasn't even loaded into the TOC!  [see attached screen capture]  It even changes the source for FCs of a different type.  It reassigned a polygon to a point feature class.  What would cause this issue and how to do I prevent it from happening?

Some background:  I'm using Pro v2.6.3 in the Azure cloud through a Citrix VDI.

The only way i can resolve this is by creating a new map and adding the layers in again.  Eventually, the same issue occurs again.  Maybe when Pro encounters a certain memory constraint.  

Please help.  I'm having to go back to ArcMap to avoid this problem.

Jim T.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This sounds very strange, and is likely some kind of bug. I'd take this sort of thing to Technical Support.

What you could do in the meantime is open the Diagnostic Monitor (Ctrl + Alt + M) and enable Diagnostic Logging. Continue using Pro until the issue happens again, at which point open the log file and see what it says. Tech Support would likely be interested in the log as well, if its contents seem too technical.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JimThomas
New Contributor III

Thanks, I've tried this but have not been able to duplicate the issue after enabling the Diagnostic Logging.  I was able to reproduce last week prior to getting your reply.  I did have an odd thing happen (this morning) where a point layer got reassigned to a polyline feature class.  I removed it and added it back in to fix the problem.  I guess I'll have to keep trying to reproduce.  I'm not sure if the problem is with Pro or the VDI but it appears to be with what happens behind the scenes when the TOC layers are connected to the underlying feature classes.  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Agree - this is very strange.  I would try this - create a new ArcGIS Pro project with a Map View.  Add the layers you have from the first *.aprx, save the new project and see if it's repeatable.  Could be a corrupt ArcGIS Pro project maybe?  

0 Kudos
JimThomas
New Contributor III

I believe I've tried what you've suggested.  If I add layers to the existing map or copy the incorrectly sourced layers into a new map, the problem persists because the incorrect source remains.  However, if I add the layers to a NEW map or aprx (basically starting over), the layers are added correctly until Pro decides to change the source again.   I'll keep trying to reproduce but it makes me uneasy about using Pro in meetings or for map production.  At the moment I don't know if it's Pro or the VDI causing the issue.

0 Kudos
JimThomas1
New Contributor II

So, i'm discovering more issues.  (1) I had three map tabs in my .aprx.  One of them had its TOC wiped clean and replaced with the contents from another map.  I happened instantly while i was connecting folders in the Catalog pane. 

The other issue is I'm unable to rename folders from the Catalog pain (I can create and delete but not rename).  This only applies to certain directories in our Azure cloud.  For example, i can rename folders under some office directories, but not in others.  I'm able to rename them normally in File Explorer and ArcMap/Catalog... just not in Pro.   What would cause that and could this permission/setting affect the TOC data source issues I noted above?

0 Kudos
JimThomas1
New Contributor II

UPDATE:  My Active Directory account was a member of a group that only had read/execute access.  I was added to a group with modify access.  Now I can rename folders.  I can't help but think this contributed to the data resourcing in ArcGIS Pro but time will tell.  Any thoughts on how having read/execute but not modify access to folders only impacts ArcGIS Pro and not ArcMap or File Manager?  Is there something different about how Pro communicates with the Azure file system?

0 Kudos