Pro.settingsConfig file question: CustomDefaultLocation ArcGIS Pro 3.1

03-23-2023 01:25 PM
PeterWang
New Contributor III

Concerning setting the CustomDefaultLocation in ArcGIS Pro 3.1, is it possible to get more granularity on the default location?

<LocalProject>
<CustomDefaultLocation isLocked="true">\\dataserver1\Team_Defaults\Projects</CustomDefaultLocation>
</LocalProject>

Rather than just send users to \\dataserver1\Team_Defaults\Projects is it possible to send them to

\\dataserver1\Team_Defaults\Projects\*USERNAME*\  in other words, they are sent to a specific folder which is based on their Windows username?

This would make the user experience more streamlined, in that they would not have to make one more click to select their exact folder, they will also be spared the mistake of accidentally writing their project to the folder of a team member. Also users would not end up saving projects too high at the \Projects level, and I can pretty much guarantee that will happen as well. 

Thank you.

7 Replies
RobertAkroyd1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I too would like to be able to substitute in the current user/name into the file paths available in the settingsConfig file.

We are using AppStream, so need to store each user's specific files under a folder according to their name, and depending which users login to AppStream - it's the same Pro image that gets launched every time in AppStream so there is only one registry entry pointing to one settingsConfig location.

For example the documentation states:

<StagingPath isLocked="true">C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\ArcGISPro\Staging\SharingProcesses</StagingPath>

But <name> is a placeholder for you to type your own username value.
Is there a variable such as $user, or %username% etc that can be used that gets substituted by Pro at runtime?

If not I'd like to request that this is considered for enhancement as currently we cannot effectively use the settingsConfig in AppStream, and there is a big issue in that the user's profile gets quickly filled up (especially due to the above setting, and others such as Display Cache) and then things start going wrong as profile storage is swapped in and out by Appstream and things get lost or corrupted.

@KoryKramer - seen you advising on similar settings before - anything you can advise on here?
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @RobertAkroyd1 I do not think that what you're requesting is currently possible. Let me check in with the development team and follow up here - if it isn't, then this would make a good idea in the ArcGIS Pro Ideas board.

As for the part about the cache, have you set 'Clear Cache each time the application closes'? https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/idb-p/arcgis-pro-ideas

KoryKramer_0-1682686519429.png

0 Kudos
RobertAkroyd1
New Contributor III

Thanks @KoryKramer .  We can set the ClearCacheWhenAppClosing, but that will only mitigate slightly, as the vast majority so far is consumed by the StagingPath.

I can add to the ArcGIS Ideas board if that's a good to see if others are seeing the same thing, but would also raise an enhancement request at the same time.

Regards,

Rob.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Rob. Yeah, please do submit an enhancement request and if you also post an idea, reference the ENH as well and we can keep them associated on our side to help with tracking. 

Cheers,

Kory

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

@RobertAkroyd1 for reference when submitting a new enhancement request, the following already exists [ENH-000132348: ArcGIS Pro does not recognize Windows System variables when configuring default New Project Custom Location Path]

That was written specifically against the custom location path, whereas you are interested in making this possible for StagingPath. Ultimately we will need to assess these together, but I wanted to provide you that background when you're working with Support on an enhancement request.

Cheers

cc @AmeliaBradshaw 

0 Kudos
RobertAkroyd1
New Contributor III

Many thanks for your replies @KoryKramer I will raise an enhancement request for all path settings to be able to use a username variable.

RobertAkroyd1
New Contributor III

Hi @KoryKramer ,

Enhancement request ENH-000158071 has been raised.

Regards,

Rob.