Pro Schema Locking

05-30-2019 07:30 AM
roemhildtg
Occasional Contributor III

Anyone know if there's a way to clear a lock on a fgdb in pro without restarting the whole program? I close out  of any active maps that use that fgdb, I refresh catalog tree, but nothing seems to "unlock" the database. Just curious if people have similar experiences or have a workaround. Closing/restarting pro takes a good chunk of my day it seems and I'd love to find an alternative. I can't find any way to remove the lock other than a full shutdown of pro.

More details:

- A standalone python script I'm working on in Jupyter throws a schema lock error

- There is a lock file in the file gdb I'm working with

Removing the layer from the map looks like it clears the lock, UNLESS I have browsed to the layer in the fgdb through the catalog pane. If I first connect to it via the catalog panel in Pro, then removing the layer does NOT remove the lock.

4 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

What version and patch are you running?  

0 Kudos
roemhildtg

ArcGIS Pro 2.3.3

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Although I am not using python (you could probably still try and code this), I frequently encounter schema lock issues when using Field Calculator and by simply selecting Enable Undo this allows me to complete the calculation 90% of the time. 

JohannaPrüssmann1
New Contributor III

Thanks Mervyn! Worked like a charm. I've been struggling with this issue for a couple of months now. I always had to close Pro, do the field calculations in ArcMap and the go back to Pro. I'm so glad that with your help that's over now.

0 Kudos