Pro Roadmap - Non-versioned Editing: “Ability to undo and/or discard edits before committing”

03-24-2022 04:44 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Regarding the ArcGIS Pro Roadmap - December 2021

Non-versioned editing - support of workflows similar to those implemented in ArcMap for editing non-versioned data. When implemented, edits against non-versioned data will not be written directly to the database, giving the user the ability to undo and/or discard edits before committing.

What is meant by the word “undo”?

I suspect it means that ALL edits in a session can be discarded. I don’t think it’s referring to true undo functionality. I.e., we won’t be able to undo (CTRL+Z) the last individual edit within a greater editing session.

Can someone confirm what the intent is? I’m aware that roadmap plans are tentative/subject to change.

Thanks!

8 Replies
AmeliaBradshaw
Esri Contributor

Hello @Bud thank you for the question! As I understand it, this statement refers to true undo which removes the last individual edit and can be performed using the 'Undo' button in the Quick Access Toolbar or using Ctrl+Z. This is discussed in the "Filter undo and redo for editing" documentation, which states the following for Pro 2.9: "You cannot undo editing operations made to nonversioned data in an enterprise geodatabase." This of course will change in a future release once we implement undo for nonversioned data. 

Please let me know if you have further questions! 

Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Thanks!

Regarding:

"...workflows similar to those implemented in ArcMap for editing non-versioned data."

This is my understanding:

• Currently, in ArcMap, we can discard edits when editing unversioned data (but we can't undo).
  • Currently, in ArcGIS Pro, we can't discard edits when editing unversioned data (we can't undo either).
    • The edits get automatically saved (the save & discard buttons are greyed-out).
    • And we don't seem to have the option of disabling auto-saving the edits either; it's already disabled by default :
      Bud_0-1648657710479.png

I'm still skeptical that future versions of ArcGIS Pro will allow undo of unversioned data. My guess is: it will only be possible to discard an edit session, not undo (consistent with how ArcMap works now).

I would be very happy to be wrong though.

0 Kudos
AzinSharaf
Occasional Contributor II

hi @AmeliaBradshaw 

do you know in which version we will have this capability? I was told it might be added in Pro 3.2. 

Bud
by
Notable Contributor

@AmeliaBradshaw, would you be able to provide an update? This seems to have been removed from the Road Map.

0 Kudos
MichaelTrust
New Contributor III

Hi @AmeliaBradshaw,we would like an update too. We currently edit MANY non-versioned tables and feature classes in our Oracle enterprise (SDE) database in ArcMap, and if this functionality is not coming to ArcGIS Pro, it will be a huge issue to say the least. I recall it was on the Pro Roadmap at one point. Thanks.

Bud
by
Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
MichaelTrust
New Contributor III

Thanks @Bud - I found this too: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/announcements/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro-3-2/#edit....

It is similar to ArcMap, in that when editing non-versioned data with Save/Discard enabled, you can only edit data in one workspace at a time. However, unlike in ArcMap, the Und/Redo buttons are not available once you have applied your edits. So, my advice would be to save often. One related piece of behavior I noticed is that when I set the "automatically save edits" option to occur after each edit transaction, and then I made 3 edits to my table without manually saving, when I attempted to manually discard those 3 edits, that was actually successful, so it looks like being in toggled editing mode with a single workspace overrides the auto save edits option.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

However, unlike in ArcMap, the Und/Redo buttons are not available once you have applied your edits.

In ArcMap, my understanding is the Undo/Redo buttons are only available for undoing/redoing edits when editing versioned enterprise data. If the data isn't versioned, then the Undo/Redo buttons don't undo or redo edits; they'll just undo/redo the last non-editing task, like undo removing a layer from the map.

In other words, undo/redo is the main reason we versioned our data.

Edit: Oops, disregard, I misread @MichaelTrust's comment.

0 Kudos