Pro doesn't update folders or files "in real time" within GDB when modified outside of Pro

01-30-2017 03:10 PM
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

I am running ArcMap for Desktop and ArcGIS Pro both at the same time.  As I update or change data in a geodatabase while using ArcMap, these data do not properly update in Pro (even if they aren't currently part of a map in Pro). Its as if Pro sees the files and folders as frozen in time (when Pro was launched), and doesn't update them in real time.

Example:

I modify the attributes/fields of a feature class in ArcMap (even if it is not loaded in the Pro map, which if it was I would probably get a schema lock). If I then add that data to Pro it adds the old dataset as it was when Pro was originally launched - without the updated attributes I edited in ArcMap! There is no apparent way to refresh the folder or data in Pro, so it will update correctly. Its as if Pro isnt getting live updates to folders and files and doesn't recognize when those files are moved and modified outside of Pro. 

Another example:

Iif I add or delete feature classes within a GDB outside of ArcGIS Pro, and try to add them - Pro still sees the old FC's even if they are gone.  Trying to add them gives error "Failed to add data, unsupported type" obviously, the file isn't there anymore. 

The only work around is to close out of Pro and reopen (pretty big inconvenience if you are working with both software simultaneously - ie: Business Analyst in ArcMap and symbology/cartographic work in Pro)

Bug or working as intended?

PS: I should mention that you can, however, see new feature classes that were created. it's the deleted FC's that are still showing within the GDB, and current ones that were modified are not having those modifications update correctly.

24 Replies
Kerry_Shakarjian
New Contributor III

We discovered something similar in ArcGIS Pro yesterday.

We have a Python script that tags feature classes with the word "Archive". I ran the script using Pro and next thing I knew there was a red exclamation next to the updated file geodatabase in Catalog View that said the database needed to be fixed. I couldn't even click into the geodatabase to see the feature classes. I then opened ArcCatalog and could see the changes in the geodatabase feature classes no problem to confirm the script worked. We shouldn't have to do these work-arounds to confirm success.

At this point I'm confused on why Pro would throw an error after the script successfully ran. I now understand that Pro gets confused when using scripts etc. outside of Pro. Our python guru then looked into using arcpy.RefreshCatalog and discovered that Pro doesn't have this capability and it needs to be added to functions in Pro.

My concern with Pro throwing that *false* red exclamation error is that others will take this serious and go down a rabbit hole, similar to my reaction and the discussion in this thread, and never recover. I don't feel that a user of the software should "know" that "oh, if you just refresh it should work". To me, this is not good enough when this capability exists in ArcMap.

I think Pro should catch up and add arcpy.RefreshCatalog to functions in order to avoid confusion later with this refresh issue.

We would be adding it to our script if we could to avoid the red exclamation scenario.

TylerSchwartz2

To add to the description of this behavior so we can get some resolution, I have another issue when adding domains to a geodatabase.

When I run "Table to Domain" and add a domain to a geodatabase, these domains are not visible or able to be added to my subtypes unless I close out of pro and reopenThis has to be done each and every time I add a domain using this GP tool.  A manual refresh on the geodatabase does not reveal these domains.  You must close out of Pro for them to be visible under the "Data>Domains" ribbon.

Now surely, you cannot say this is expected behavior and surely this points to the larger issue that Pro seems to have on refreshing files, no? Kory Kramer

0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2

Just to clarify with a supporting screenshot.  You can see the tool ran correctly, but the domain does not show up unless you completely close out of Pro.  If I re-run the tool, I get an error saying the domain already exists. To me, this clear proof that Pro is not updating and is not seeing the new domain, which to me, is connected to this larger issue outlined in the thread. The only way to get the domain to appear is to close out of Pro, and reopen the project. 

It doesnt seem efficient or logical to have to close out of your Pro project every time you need it to update. Clearly something is wrong here.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Tyler, what happens if you close the Domain view and re-open it (without entirely closing the project...)?

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

BUG-000085913: The Table To Domain tool does not show the new domai.. shows as fixed in Pro 2.4, but it may still be necessary to close the view and re-open.  I'm trying to get confirmation from the team on this, but a response from you about the behavior of close/open the Domain view would be good.

Cheers

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi again, Tyler.  Interestingly this conversation was happening over here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/17610 I've now tested and it looks to me that seeing the update in the Domains view still requires either closing the project or opening a new Pro instance...  It appears that the status on that bug was incorrect so I'm looking into that on our side.  

Thank you.

TylerSchwartz2

Thanks Kory for the quick and detailed response.  The first thing I tried was closing and reopening the domain dialog, the second thing was to remove and re-add the feature class to Pro.  As you noted, the only way to update was to close and re-open Pro. 

I appreciate you looking into this and look forward to a fix. Thanks again

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Tyler Schwartz‌ let's continue this conversation over on Refresh Domains‌ so I'm not repeating findings...

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Tyler Schwartz‌ maybe I was moving a bit too fast juggling other things and trying to re-test this.  I'd still recommend closing and re-opening the Domains view, as I'm seeing that working for me now.  Try that if it isn't too much trouble and let us know if that is working for you.

TylerSchwartz2

Hi Kory, this worked on the first table to domain I ran, but subsequent ones do not appear - even after closing and re-opening the domain window. Very strange.

Hopefully this helps - Ill take further feedback to the other thread, thank you.

0 Kudos